Intro | Tabitha

There wasn't a single cloud in the bright, powder-blue sky. The smell of mulch and the budding petunias tickled Tabitha's nose. The girl sang to herself like she often did, sitting on her knees in heavy dungarees as her perfectly manicured brown hands dug into the earth, prepping it for more blooming flowers.

     It was early afternoon, and she was at the local nursery she worked, prepping the ground for summer flowers that were popular this season. Tabitha grabbed the crimson-handled shovel, digging a perfect hole for the petunia pot, neighboring the orange marigolds and lemon-colored daffodils. A cool wind picked up, giving a small relief from the humid southern heat.

     A little girl in the garden with her mother was giggling, running after a white butterfly that was fluttering in the air. It was nearing summer, which meant more customers looking for plants to beautify their own gardens.

     "Always the little songbird." A voice behind her startled her. She turned, facing old Miss Robyn, a longtime family friend, and owner of the small nursery Tabitha worked at.

     Sheepishly, Tabitha rose to her feet and grabbed the watering can, hydrating the new plants she just set in the dirt.

     "They looking good ain't they? You know petunias are my favorite." Tabitha smiled at the woman.

     Miss Roybn smiled, her withered hands sprinkling some seeds in an empty bed of manure, "Yeah they are, we gone have to put a few in your bouquet next month for the wedding." She said.

     A cold chill ran down Tabitha's spine feeling her stomach flutter like familiar butterfly wings. It was like everyone around her was more excited about her upcoming nuptials than she was. One of Brookridge's first young black doctors marrying the tomboyish, southern belle. She was lucky, at least that's what everyone had told her so. And the date was slowly approaching, only about a month away, according to the calendar Tabitha kept back home.

     The excitement she held once before for the union was replaced with feelings of doubt. Robert, her soon-to-be husband, was a great man, at least that's what she told herself often. But between dating to being engaged something in their relationship had shifted, leaving the woman longing for more.

     Taking off her sunhat, Tabitha smoothed her frizzing hair, "I'm sure that would be quite pretty with some lilies and white roses." She said hopefully.

     Miss Robyn scrunched up her eyebrows, pulling her long greying locks into a ponytail, "Well, I will have the prettiest flowers for ya when yall are ready. Speaking of– Ain't it past noon girl? Don't you and Robert go to lunch every afternoon? Ya better get going."

     Tabitha sighed, forcing a grin to the old woman as she shooed her away. Cleaning herself up a bit, the girl grabbed her satchel and began her small trek to the downtown clinic her fiance worked.

     Those butterflies hadn't settled in her stomach, and Tabitha felt a sourness sitting on her tongue. She didn't have the heart to tell Miss Robyn that she and Robert actually hadn't had lunch together in quite some time, especially with the man's work always being so busy and packed. Tabitha longed for quality time with her fiancé, but she held on to a small sliver of hope on her short walk. Today, Robert had promised to have a lakeside picnic with her and that today she would be his first priority.

     She felt her nerves turn into excitement as she turned the corner and walked down the steep hill into the small country clinic.

     "Afternoon Ramona," Tabitha greeted the secretary, watching as the woman's green eyes sized her up.

     "You came to see your future husband in those dirty dungarees? Jeez, girl. You could've at least straightened ya hair today," Ramona griped.

     Tabitha was used to these kinds of remarks from people. She grew up a country girl at heart, loving the earth and dirt. She loved her long curly hair and refused to straighten it, despite all the women in her family having something to say. Tabitha was beautiful, sure, with dark skin the color of toasted pecans, she was tall like a supermodel, full curves and a show-stopping smile. She often got many admirers. But many jealous women around town often wondered what a bachelor like Robert saw in Tabitha.