02 Ernest

Lanky brown fingertips graced the keys of the old grand piano. Although out of tune, the piano left a melodic grace in the air. Ernest had removed the sheet over his father's piano in the still hours of the early dawn. Being face to face with the wooden structure left a strange tugging on Ernest's heart. As the orange glow of the rising sun seeped between the egg white curtains, the harmony of his hands over keys sang a duet with the robins and blue jays.

     Something about Saturday mornings gave a sense of serenity and peace, the pitter-patter of the morning rain left an incessant rhythm on the old tin roof as Ernest's melodies filled the small home.

     He was in a trance of his own control. As his fingers slid over each key, pressing firmly chord after chord, Ernest began to feel his confusion and apprehensions slowly fall off his shoulders.

     Perplexity swirled the man's mind, relieving his angst as he pressed down on the keys, smoke willowing in the air from the cigarette that hung between his full, pink lips.

     It had been a full two days since the man returned to Brookridge and he still couldn't figure out why the wind blew him back this way. Back face to face with the past.

     Still, humming a tune to the music he played, he focused, trying to ignore the doubts and guilt that had clouded his mind for the last few restless hours.

     Unbeknownst to the audience in the room, Emmaline stared in the doorway at her uncle, the halos of golden light peeking from the curtains creating a magic added to the harmony heard throughout the space. Penelope had insisted on staying the last few nights in their mother's home, wanting to be closer to her brother.

     Ceasing his piano playing, Ernest was startled at the clapping of small hands behind him. Pressing his cigarette in the ashtray and swiveling around in the stool he sat in, the man smiled at the little brown face staring up at him in astonishment.

     "That sounded pretty, Uncle Ernie."

     Uncle, huh? Ernest felt a warmth fill him from her words as he stared at her round, innocent and gentle face. The little girl walked toward him, sitting next to him on the stool as she pressed on a key, "Maw-Maw never wants me near this thing."

     Ernest gave a small chuckle, remembering the days when he and Penelope Anne couldn't even go outside without practicing their instruments. Piano and the trumpet for Ernest, violin for Penelope. A tedious routine that they would always fight to get out of with their father, but Ernest eventually fell in love with the talent.

     Emmaline continued to bang on the keys, causing Ernest to stir with laughter.

     "Here, girl, watch my hands real good now, okay?" Ernest smiled, pressing his fingers on the keys to the simple tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, "You wanna try?"

     The girl gave an excitable grin bobbing her head up and down, following the man step by step with each simple note. A pridefulness washed over Ernest, watching his niece (his niece, he still couldn't believe it) press on each key perfectly.

     "Keep that rhythm girl," Ernest smiled, playing a melody to the girl's simple beat. Emmaline giggled as she and Ernest created a fun melody.

     Ending the tune, Ernest smiled down at her, "I think we got a hit on our hands, girl, whatchu think?" He said, tickling her belly causing Emmaline to screech into a fit of giggles.

     Penelope appeared in the doorway then, wearing a canary night robe, feeling a similar stillness Ernest felt in her heart at the sight of her Daddy's piano. She gave a small good morning to her brother and baby girl.