Chapter One

Your first night away from home had passed. Just two days ago, you saw a recruitment flyer promoting open servant positions for Queen Eclipsa. You immediately took the opportunity, as your family was poor and needed the extra money.

And, secretly, you couldn't help but feel a little bit curious as to who Eclipsa really was. Almost every mewman you knew disliked monsters and labeled her as "evil." Something about this unsettled you. What granted mewmans superiority over monsters? Why were they considered second class citizens? Eclipsa, on the other hand, was kind of a mystery. All you knew about her was what you had learned in history at school. She ran away and hand a child with her monster husband, Globgor, who was murdered just before she was crystallized. She remained stagnant for about 300 years, until she was released. Now she was queen again, and the people of Mewni were not responding positively to her reign. The controversy only intrigued you more, however.

Even though your home in the village was only about 30 minute walk from Eclipsa's castle, you felt like you were in a completely different dimension. All around you were seemingly hundreds of giant rooms with high ceilings, fine china, banquet tables and chandeliers. It was like constantly wandering through a disorienting but beautiful maze. It was morning, and you were already drained from dusting nearly every corner of the castle. Despite this, you knew the queen was waiting to be served breakfast, and it was your responsibility to deliver. When you arrived at the kitchen, the head butler, who was your supervisor, had an irritated look on his face.

"You're late, [Y/N]," he muttered. "It is unacceptable to keep a queen waiting."

"I'm sorry about that, sir," you nervously replied to the scolding.

He handed you a circular platter with a dome-shaped covering, "Hurry up."

You held the platter carefully with both of your hands to ensure you didn't mess up your first day on the job. Suddenly, your efforts were immediately undermined by what you saw when you walked into the banquet hall, causing you almost drop the tray.

There she was, the one and only Eclipsa Butterfly, queen of darkness.

You had seen her briefly before, but never up close and in person. She radiantly exuded an aura of confidence and poise, while also having an inviting demeanor. Her skin was pale but had a slight glow to it in the light. She had delicate features: an up-turned nose, full lips and almond shaped eyes with vibrant lavender irises. Her dark purple dress perfectly complimented her curvy figure. On top of that, her sun hat made her outfit especially distinct. You felt intimidated from her beauty as you got lost in her captivating eyes, but you felt almost comforted by her at the same time.

You placed the platter on the table and bowed, "Your breakfast is served, your majesty."

Eclipsa gave you a warm smile, "Thank you, darling. Aren't you the girl that was just hired yesterday?"

She was actually making conversation with you? Even though you were just her servant?

You were frozen in thought for a moment before responding, "Yes, I am. Your castle is absolutely beautiful. I am honored to be here."

"Aw," she chuckled. "You're adorable. What's your name?"

"I'm [Y/N]."

"Well, it's good to meet you, [Y/N]. I'm glad I got to personally welcome you. If there's anything I can do to make you more comfortable here, let me know."

The queen wanted to make you comfortable? You got a sharp, warm feeling in your gut.

"Thank you, so much."

"Of course, I'll let you get back to work now," she nodded.

You continued the rest of your day with the interaction refusing to leave your mind. For some reason, you couldn't stop thinking about her. Her laugh, her smile, her elegant but soothing voice. You had only met this woman once, and you were already fond of her presence.

Just as you were approaching your room to go to bed that night, you saw another familiar face. It was a girl with light blonde hair that went down to her waist, sparkling blue eyes and hearts on her cheeks; walking to a room directly across from yours.

"Are you... Princess Butterfly?" You asked.

The girl turned towards you, "Well, I'm not exactly a princess anymore, but yeah. You can just call me Star. I don't think I've seen you around here before... what's your name?"

"I'm [Y/N], they just hired me as a servant yesterday. It's so cool to actually talk to royals. Is Eclipsa letting you stay here?"

Star sighed, "Yeah, kinda. I've been helping her settle back into royal life and all that jazz. It's been... work."

"Sounds like it," you replied. "Can you still do magic, you know..."

"Without my wand? I'm learning. It's tricky but I'm managing, I guess. Well, goodnight new friend!"

"Goodnight!" You said as you exchanged waves and closed your doors.

The next few days of work went by fairly quickly, and you were always tired by the end of them. Your boss was cold and grumpy, which unnerved you, but seeing Eclipsa and Star always remedied that.

Around three days into your new job, you were assigned to serve Eclipsa her daily afternoon tea. You carried a small porcelain dish with a tea cup out to the castle's rose garden, one of her favorite places to relax.

"Ah, thank you, [Y/N]," she said. "Would you care to join me for tea?"