The Forlorn Meeting.

They had left early that morning, deciding that it would be unwise to leave Lan Yuan at Cloud Recesses, even if it would be with Lan Qiren. Wei Wuxian had packed for Lan Yuan and himself, despite all he had were the clothes that Lan Wangji had given him and the Yin Tiger Tally. Chenqing tucked at his side.

Though Wei Wuxian didn't have the heart to bring the child back to the Burial Mounds, just in case his worst fears were proven right. It would be inhumane to allow a three-year-old to see such things.

So, they decided that Lan Yuan would go with Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji to the conference. If anything, it would give Lan Wangji the chance to not only announce that the infamous Yiling Patriarch was now in the 'custody' of the Lan sect, but he also now had a son.

Whether that son was with the aforementioned Yiling Patriarch was left to be unsaid.

"Mama..." Lan Yuan mumbled, still sleepy from being woken up even earlier than he was used to. Wei Wuxian smoothed out the bunches on the child's shawl, tucking him as securely as he could into his chest. The cold winds snapped against them.

It had been a great while since Wei Wuxian had rode atop a sword, and he quickly remembered just how vehemently he despised flying in the winter. Lan Wangji had an arm wrapped tightly around his waist, and the very end of his tail wrapped snugly around his ankle as well.

Though neither mentioned nor paid notice of their proximity.

Once the Burial Mounds came into sight, the cultivators touched ground. Though, Lan Wangji was still hesitant to remove himself from the fox spirit.

Wei Wuxian on the other hand, held no such hesitations as he passed the sleepy child over to the dragon, tucking in the ends of his shawl as he pulled the hood of the winter coat back over Lan Yuan's head, smiling when the boy mumbled a drowsy goodbye to his mother.

Lan Wangji could feel his chest constricting at every loving action. Surely he didn't have to leave. "I can stay with Wei Ying."

Laughing, Wei Wuxian patted the dragon's shoulder, far more relaxed with him than his first awakening only a couple of days ago. "Lan Zhan, this is something I have done before. It will be alright... besides..."

Taking a long, almost pained look at the toddler in his arms, Wei Wuxian felt his chest become heavy from his anxiety.

"If something... has happened. A-Yuan does not need to see it."

Lan Xichen then stepped forward, passing Wei Wuxian a few talismans. "Wei-gongzi, if something does go amiss, simply tear these. Wangji has a few of his own, so he will be alerted if you need help."

Bowing, Wei Wuxian placed the talismans in his robes, before heading to the entrance of the Burial Mounds, where fierce corpses still guarded the front, only now far more feral.

The corpses shrieked and growled as they approached, immediately charging at them, Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji immediately drew their swords, but with a simple whistle, the corpses stopped.

As though they were frozen by fear.

Wei Wuxian's eyes glowed a fearsome red, and with a single step forward, the corpses fled. Groaning as they hurried back into the tree line, behind the wall of stone.

Smirking, Wei Wuxian turned only once to look back. Waving gently before he headed off into the dark forests. Lan Wangji almost went in after him, if not for his brother's hand on his shoulder.

Lan Xichen gave his younger brother a reassuring squeeze on his shoulder, smiling at Lan Yuan who had raised his head to see where Wei Wuxian had gone. "He will be alright Wangji. We must head to the banquet now."