Chapter 6

They ended up spending the night at the tavern, and while Idriseth quite enjoyed simply existing in such a human place and seeing how human lives in general worked, Idriseth was still glad when they left the next morning

It was just a bit too much after a while. He was not used to being around anyone, much less humans, and especially not this many. It hadn't been too bad at first but in the evening, the tavern had become full, and many people had been interested in him and Caldor, since they were new in town, which seemed to have piqued the people's curiosity.

Though, it was incredible just how well and easily his mate could come up with lies on the spot whenever he had been faced with a question he couldn't give an honest answer to without telling everyone that Idriseth was a dragon. Idriseth just hoped Caldor wouldn't use that talent against him, but he wouldn't let such thoughts ruin his mood right now.

They were walking through the woods with no real destination in mind, simply intent on getting far away enough from the town to avoid anyone seeing Idriseth transform and fly away. And Idriseth didn't care at all if they spent the entire day walking.

They would get tired of course, but he truly didn't want to worry or even think about that. He was just ecstatic that he was spending time with Caldor, and his mate seemed to share that sentiment, giving Idriseth a smile every time he looked at him and making his heart stutter.

He wondered if any other dragon in existence felt the same way he did. Human-style relationships seemed so intense and intoxicating in comparison to how dragons did things. Once again, Idriseth was annoyed with himself for forgetting to bring his journal with him as he had many thoughts to record, but he hadn't even thought of that the night they'd left. He just hoped Augerill's forces wouldn't find it and destroy it. His one comfort was that at least they couldn't read it, as it was written in the draconic language.

"So, what do you think of us humans so far?" Caldor asked him, grinning as he leaned in closer. Idriseth couldn't help but stare at his mate's lips, his mind immediately summoning images of kissing him and running his fingers over Caldor's stubbled, sharp jawline. But Idriseth pushed that all aside. The middle of a forest was hardly a good place for mating, especially considering they'd done it that morning already.

"There is much kindness and empathy to human society. I am glad the books I've read on the subject were not entirely objective about that," Idriseth mused, smiling to himself. Humans seemed very intent on celebrating simply being alive, which was quite a nice sentiment. Idriseth's smile grew as he looked at Caldor. "I still stand by calling you strange."

Caldor chuckled, nudging Idriseth with his elbow. "Hey, from what you've told me about dragons, you're not exactly standard either."

He truly wasn't, was he? He'd never truly understood the desire to collect gold and jewels, or what sort of pleasure one could derive from killing humans, but Idriseth was sure that all came down to his people shunning him and pushing him away since he'd hatched.