Miko Iino wants to study

"So allow me to repeat what I just heard."

Judging by the look on Kaguya's face, Ishigami figured that it would be for the best if he were to keep quiet.

"First, Iino suspends all student council activities for the duration."

Ishigami nodded.

"Next, she says, and I quote: 'You know, I've been having some trouble with English lately, so maybe we should-', right?"

"Hey, I was busy talking to you, so I didn't-"

"I believe that I am the one who will be doing the talking here. Is that understood?"

It was no small wonder that with how much more apt Kaguya had become at showing her affections and kindness, she had not lost a single ounce of her ability to terrify. At least, not according to Ishigami.

"G-gotcha."

"So, let me get this straight. Once she asked that to you, what, exactly did you do?"

How could a girl only one year older than him send such a deep feeling of dread into his stomach? Ishigami could only stare at his feet, glued to the spot, unable to say a word.

"You have permission to speak."

More like, 'Explain yourself or I'll rip out your gallbladder on the spot'. Out of options, Ishigami simply muttered out:

"I-I wasn't even sure if I'd heard her right, and by the time I'd processed what happened, she was already gone-"

*SMACK!*

He knew that it was coming, but did she really need to use her left hand for that?

"This wasn't even reading between the lines. She threw the pages right at you, and you all but ripped them to shreds without even glancing at them."

Still not meeting Kaguya's gaze, Ishigami's voice stayed at a mumble as he spoke.

"It's not like that. I get what she's saying, but..."

"But what?"

The tension had largely dissipated, but just as soon as it was clear that Ishigami wasn't going to continue, Kaguya decided to fill in the silence.

"In any case, why don't we talk about something else? The finals are coming up, so what are you aiming for this time around?"

Suspicious at the sudden change, Ishigami decided that it would be safer to simply go along with it rather than resist.

"U-uh, nothing big. Just trying to keep my place in the top 10 is all-"

"Is that really all you're satisfied with?"

Ishigami stopped, raising an eyebrow at the calculating smile on Kaguya's face before sighing, curling his knees up to his mouth.

"Well, I'd obviously like to score higher, but I feel like I can't see the point. After all, I don't have any grand aspirations, so why bother?"

Another pause. Kaguya looked at the roof, a thoughtful tone in her gaze as she did before looking back at Ishigami and asking:

"Did I ever tell you how I started taking note of Miyuki?"

Slightly bewildered, Ishigami shook his head.

"No, though I got the impression that it was less of a moment and more of a thing that happened as you got to know him better?"

Kaguya blinked twice, pinching her forehead.

"Honestly, how are you so observant yet so obstinate at the same time... In any case, however, that was not what I was referring to. I have not told you when I first started taking note of Miyuki Shirogane, have I?"