(2)- The Aftermath

Connor stood outside the door of Sharon Goodwin's office. The door slowly opened, and Sharon walked out. When she saw Connor, her expression was immediately sympathetic. "Dr Rhodes," she said. "Come in."

Connor followed Sharon in through the doors of her office. He sat down in one of the chairs that were opposite her desk. "Ms Goodwin," he started, unsure of what to say. He knew that this was a part of the formal interview that Dr Latham had mentioned, but it was just so soon. He was still trying to get the image of Ava holding the scalpel out of his mind.

Sharon sat down at her desk, clearing her throat. "I'm sure you're already aware of why I called you up to my office," she said, kindly. "Now, I know that this is very tough for you, but it is extremely important that we find out exactly what happened." 

Connor had predicted that this would happen. He was still deciding whether to mention Ava's confession, or let that be handled separately. "So, what do you want to know?" Connor asked. He would answer any questions if it helped them figure out what had happened with Ava. He had never considered that she would be capable of anything like that.

"Well, the moment before she attempted to kill herself," Sharon began. "Those few minutes before she made that decision, they're crucial to figuring out exactly what caused this." She looked at Connor, sympathetically. "Just tell us what you can remember. How did she seem?"

"She was...distressed," Connor started. It was a part of the truth. Ava had seemed unstable in there, although no one could have guessed that she would try to do what she did. "She was clearly worried...about something." He did not mention that the something happened to be the fact that she killed his father. It felt wrong for him to talk about it.

"I see," Sharon said, nodding as if she understood. "That's a good start. Okay, how about just before she did it? Would you say that it seemed planned, or more like a split-second decision?" Connor didn't respond, so Sharon tried again. "I know that this has to be very difficult for you, Dr Rhodes," she said, gently. "Look, if there's anything that you can remember about the situation that you think would benefit us with our investigation, it's important that we know." She asked again. "Is there anything that you noticed, just before it happened?"

"I guess that she was panicked," Connor tried, unsure of how to describe Ava in that situation. He couldn't find the words to explain Ava's wide eyes, her fearful apology, and of course, the blood. There was so much blood. "And no, it definitely didn't seem planned." He shook his head, sure of this. "I think it was a decision that she made in the moment." Connor suddenly remembered a detail. "After she did it, and I pulled the scalpel away from her, she said...she said that she didn't mean to do it."

Sharon looked at him with pity in her eyes. "Dr Bekker said that she didn't mean to do it?" she repeated, sceptically. She sighed again. "I can't imagine how hard this is for you. Of course, you have our full sympathy at this time."

"Thank you, Ms Goodwin," Connor said, flatly. He appreciated Ms Goodwin's words, but they were just words. Ava was still lying in a bed, somewhere, and he was not able to see her. Words couldn't do anything about that.

"Is there anything else?" Sharon asked. She seemed understanding, as though she really did want to get to the bottom of it. "Of course, this came as a shock to the entire hospital. Is there absolutely anything that you can think of?"

"I don't know," Connor said, shaking his head. "I think I've told you everything. It all...happened so fast. She just had the scalpel, and then, well..." He trailed off, unable to finish the sentence. "You know the rest."

"Yes," Sharon agreed, nodding. "I know. Well, Dr Latham informed me that you were largely responsible for the fact that Ava is still alive now." She smiled, with compassion. "You pulled the scalpel away from her. You saved her, Dr Rhodes."