Chapter 14.1

In the same moment that Mark is dictating a response to a letter from Viav, Jaebeom is recounting his experience with Mark, to Jinyoung, in detail. Jinyoung is listening very intently. He figured that Mark was rather restrained, a little secretive of things he deemed too personal, but not quite to this extent. While he did share his family history openly with him, that stuff is public knowledge, he could walk into any library and find that stuff. The only time he came close to sharing something truly personal was when Jackson beat Jaebeom at their little match. He had looked alarmed at sharing the information, but as quickly as Jinyoung noted the expression, it was gone, replaced with his kind smile.

As much as Jinyoung thinks he has a lovely smile, because he does, he's getting sick of seeing the same one all day no matter what he says or does, it doesn't go away. Even when he's obviously annoyed at Youngjae grabbing at his hands, he doesn't stop smiling. Having only seen it directed at him once, he craves his genuine smile. He's more or less zoned out, thinking about Mark's never-ending smile, so he interrupts Jaebeom suddenly to ask him if he ever stopped smiling during it.

"What a weird question," Jaebeom chuckles, thinking about it. "His head was buried in my neck, but I didn't feel him smiling."

"Good, I hate that stupid smile."

"I think he has a nice smile."

"You can't disagree with me."

"Of course, I apologize your highness" Jaebeom bows his head, trying not to laugh too obviously. Youngjae shifts uncomfortably next to him, he didn't really want the details of it, just if Mark was okay afterwards, which he was. Jaebeom had described him as a bit flustered and embarrassed but otherwise fine, he was only the normal amount of breathless, and his heart was only racing the normal amount.

"It means he's feeling better, his condition is improving, but why?" Youngjae wonders out loud, trying to distract them from the last conversation. He can't think of a single thing he would be improving from so quickly, especially not something that has affected him so long.

"It also means not a single person this giant place is taking care of their king" Jinyoung says, hitting Jaebeom in the arm as they laugh. Youngjae shakes his head at them. Unbelievable that they can plot this out together, do it, and then laugh at a king's reaction. They were the ones lecturing him about respect and now look at them.

"Does it mean he's just spontaneously getting better?" Jaebeom asks trying to get Youngjae back into the conversation.

"I would still need him to let me examine him, but I seem no closer to that than I was when we first got here. But it also seems likely that his condition is not congenital, at this point I'm not even sure it's a heart condition."

"I see" Jinyoung says, leaning back. He still doesn't understand what that means for them. He just wishes that Mark would let Youngjae examine him. Really, what could it hurt? They came all the way over here for this and it's just another doctor after all, like Mark hasn't seen them plenty throughout his reign.

Youngjae stands suddenly, knowing that if he doesn't leave right now, he might say something he regrets. "I'm feeling a bit tired, I'll see you both in the morning, please excuse me."

"Tired, huh?" Jinyoung asks, and Youngjae has to stop himself from snapping at him.

"Yes, tired." Because unlike you two, I'm not an animal. He doesn't say the last part, even though he kind of wants to. "I'll see you in the morning."

And hopefully it won't be too awkward. Jaebeom said Mark had seemed very embarrassed by it and he can understand him completely in that regard. He would be embarrassed too, to be in that position with someone he hardly knows.

Although Jaebeom isn't someone he hardly knows, he puts himself in Mark's position, only if it were Jackson and has to stop right there on the steps to mentally scrub the image out of his mind. He would feel humiliated. There is no way he could do it. Of course, Jackson isn't Jaebeom, not remotely. While feasibly it's something Jaebeom might do, it's certainly not anything he can imagine Jackson doing. Certainly not on a whim.

He does feel tired, and he wants to be back in Cilalia, in his own bed, dealing with his own average cases. He could be there quite soon, he thinks, if Mark is upset about what they've done.