Chapter 15

Exactly as Mark feared, he can't even look at Jaebeom during breakfast and it's unusually awkward. Although Jinyoung does try to talk to him about his family, about the play about anything that will get him to talk, it doesn't work. He gives them very short answers and still barely manages that. Jackson looks increasingly concerned, continuously glaring at the prince and his advisor. They must have done something while he was away. Just yesterday Mark was enjoying their company so what happened?

Jaebeom and Jinyoung although they pretend to be confused about the whole thing, are just trying to contain their laughter. While Jackson is fretting over Mark, finally looking away when Mark starts coughing. Jinyoung smirks at Jaebeom who shakes his head quickly shutting his eyes, if he looks at Jinyoung he knows he'll start laughing and he wouldn't be able to contain it. Mark is 28, why is acting like this?

It seems to dawn on them at the same time and neither of them are laughing internally or externally, looking at each other with a mix of surprise and something close to doom. It isn't impossible that Mark has never done anything like that, with anyone. If Jackson was his personal attendant before becoming his advisor, and he was still as uptight as he is now, it would have to be someone else. Mark was 20 when he took the throne and his health fell almost immediately.

Jaebeom can't believe he didn't think of it before, honestly. Of all the rulers he had ever come into contact with, half of them have made a move on him while Jinyoung wasn't looking. Because of his position as Jinyoung's attendant, he can walk away from them, so it's never gone past light harassment, but the point is they tried. Mark is the first one to never try anything, and he had seemed so ashamed of it afterwards.

Jaebeom turns away, stopping himself from rubbing his face. No wonder he reacted so strongly, it's more than likely that no one has ever touched him like that. Jinyoung just feels bad, if he had thought about that before he told Jaebeom to do it, he wouldn't have. Youngjae looks at them, turning his head completely towards them so they look straight into the blank eyes of his mask, and feel shame.

When the coughing fit is over, Mark tries to wave away Jackson's concern, but Jackson only becomes more concerned.

"Are you okay, your majesty?" Jackson asks, he can't even tell if Mark is breathing right now, his face is so red from coughing. Mark just nods his head.

"Maybe your throat is dry" Youngjae says, standing as he picks up the pitcher to refill his glass of water. In his haste, he accidentally spills onto the table. "Oh, hell—I'm so sorry."

"It's fine, just please let somebody who knows how to pour water do it next time." Jackson says, angrily picking up the glass and passing it to Mark. Mark waves his hand, trying to convey to Youngjae that he shouldn't worry about it, but his throat is hurting after coughing so he just drinks his water.

Youngjae nods, feeling horrible, like his mask has been ripped away from him. Jackson doesn't look at him again, wiping up the water with his napkin before getting Lucas to bring him another one, and refill everyone's glass, so he can demonstrate for Youngjae how to pour water.

"You don't have to be rude about it, we're all worried about the king, accidents happen" Jaebeom says, completely forgetting his own shame or manners in favor of being pissed that Jackson would talk to Youngjae like that. Jinyoung puts his hand over Jaebeom's shaking his head lightly, but the damage is done.

"I'll save you the trouble, how about you let me worry about his majesty's health and you can go back to quietly laughing?" Jackson says, only addressing Jaebeom, although they were both doing it, since talking to Jinyoung like this would get him into real trouble.

Ah, so he noticed, Jaebeom thinks, but says. "That doesn't seem fair, should we remember who is so graciously hosting us, or enjoy our breakfast by ourselves while his majesty has a coughing fit?"