Chapter 23

Jinyoung's personal chef turns out to just be Youngjae, since only a handful of people have seen him without his mask on, they are able to convince everyone else that the doctor was suspected of poisoning his majesty and fled from the kingdom. Youngjae, or Jaejae as they decided to call him, is a new addition to the palace as BamBam's apprentice.

This way Youngjae can keep an eye on the kitchen without seeming out of place. Changes can be made without so much suspicion. Everyone knows how much Mark adores and trusts BamBam, so him bringing someone in is no surprise. Youngjae is less than happy about being forced to go without his mask in public, and with BamBam, who already intimidates him, but he doesn't complain, because he wants to help Mark and wants to keep Jinyoung out of trouble.

He sighs thinking about Mark and Jinyoung telling him the plan. It made him understand why everyone in this place loves Mark so much. He cupped Youngjae's face, kissed his forehead and told him he understood that he wouldn't want to, but he shouldn't have to hide himself for fear of what others will think. He told him he's beautiful, even his face, his scar only adds to it. Youngjae had wanted to cry, completely melt into Mark's calming voice, but he remained strong, nodding and agreeing to their plan.

BamBam for his part doesn't react at all to Youngjae's scar, not a single word about it. Being Thaerian he's probably seen much worse battle scars. The only thing that BamBam says against him is to ask if he even knows how to cook, and the answer is unfortunately no. When he's home he usually just eats toast and jam. If he's visiting Jinyoung he eats whenever is made for him and if Jinyoung is visiting him, he eats whatever Jaebeom makes.

To begin the charade right away, they leave Youngjae in the kitchen with BamBam, alone until the rest of the staff shows up. BamBam spends the entire time staring at him, making him squirm. He doesn't smile, or move his face at all, just studying him and its really freaking Youngjae out.

As soon as the first person comes through the door, BamBam pushes Youngjae towards some counters. He rambles off a list of things that he wants Youngjae to pull from the fridge but Youngjae catches maybe two words. Rolling his eyes, BamBam takes him over to the fridges, pulling out the ingredients himself while reciting their names again. Only one person question's Youngjae's presence, and BamBam dismisses him easily with: disfigured orphan needed a job, you know his majesty.

Youngjae resents being called disfigured, and he isn't an orphan, he just doesn't talk to his parents anymore. When BamBam is nearly done with the dishes, he nudges Youngjae to have him add the antidote. Like he always does, Lucas comes over to take it to the table, but Youngjae stops him.

"I'll take it, no worries" He says, smiling, Lucas seems confused, but let's Youngjae go.

Prince Luhan is horrified when its Youngjae that serves him, gagging on reflex when he sees his scar. Youngjae just wants to die now, but Mark pats his hand, smiling at him and thanking him, and for that moment, things don't seem so bad.

"I didn't mean to intrude on anything" Luhan says, finishing his apology from before Youngjae came in.

"I'm glad you understand the situation, please send my regards to your father. I would love to meet again, but it's not a good time"

"Of course, I understand, we were unaware"

"All is forgiven" Jinyoung says, absolutely beaming at how poorly Luhan is taking the news that Jinyoung is courting Mark. They didn't tell him when it started, only that he was interrupting Jinyoung's schedule. Jinyoung, now sitting next to Mark instead of a few seats away, places his hand over his, smiling at him. Mark smiles back, doing his best to look flattered, he just isn't exactly sure what that should look like.