Chapter 21

I spent the rest of the weekend studying or escaping to other worlds through reading. Monday came too quickly. I was the last member of my group to enter the class, and as I looked at the distance between Elena and Laura, I thought there were long and difficult days ahead.

They were seated in their chairs, with my empty seat between them. Elena was revising for the test we would have in a few hours, while Laura was talking to Francesco, standing behind her. Though she was caught up in the conversation, her gaze kept falling on Elena. Her eyes filled with regret and repentance.

I sighed and pushed myself to my seat. Not even my presence could brighten the atmosphere between us.

We waited for the professor to arrive for about ten minutes. After nearly twenty, we understood that she was not going to show up, and then the class dispersed. Saverio and his group went for a walk, together with others of our classmates, while the rest was divided between those like me, Elena, and Laura who wanted to take the opportunity to study, and those who just wanted to talk. I only got up when there was a quarter of an hour before the end of the lesson.

"I'm going to the bathroom, will you come with me?"

Elena shook her head, but Laura got up to follow me.

We walked slowly, enjoying those moments of freedom that had become rare since the start of the school year. I only found the courage to tell her what was on my mind while I was washing my hands.

"I had a thought yesterday," I explained. My gaze was focused on the icy water that was flowing over my hands. I wondered what it was like to attend a school where soap was always available. In ours, it was perpetually absent.

"A rare occurrence," she joked.

I ignored her comment. "As Elena's friend, I don't want you to break her heart," I admitted, splashing the drops of water in her direction. Laura stepped back, glaring at me. "But as your friend, whatever your choice is, I will continue to love you."

I dared to study her expression and discovered that Laura was doing the same to me. My words hadn't upset her, just made her more melancholy. "I needed to hear that," she confessed, shrugging and looking away from me.

I massaged her arm, realizing too late that my hands were still wet.

"But," she continued, "you already seem to think I'm going to break her heart."

I walked to the nearest toilet to get some toilet paper and wipe my fingers. "Isn't that what you're going to do?"

She looked down and shook her head. "I was thinking that..." Her voice trailed off.

"What?" I pressed her.

"Maybe we could try dating and then who knows, see what happens." She seemed to seek my support.

I smiled. "Have you tried talking to her about it yet?"

"No, she's ignoring me."

"Rightly so, I'd say," I commented. "After you two kissed, you wrote to her that it was a mistake!"

She snorted. "Before the sixth period, I'll ask her to talk for a moment, okay?"

"Good, yes, that's a great idea." I peeled off the bits of wet paper that had stuck to my fingertips. "Just stay calm and empathetic."

"Am I not always?"

I didn't answer.

"Now you ignore me too?"

I chuckled and walked out of the bathroom. "Let's go back to class, go."

During the break, Laura asked Elena if they could talk alone for a moment. I gave them the space they needed and walked around alone, just to stretch my legs a bit.