Chapter 19

Silverpaw and Patchpaw were still patching the hole when Sandpaw reached them. They had Left a gap just wide enough for him to squeeze back through.

"No luck with the garlic," Sandpaw panted as he slipped in. "Darkstripe's prowling around out there."

"Never mind," mewed Silverpaw. "We can get some tomorrow."

"I'll go and get you some poppy from Spottedleaf," Sandpaw offered. He was worried by the dull look in his friend's eyes, and the way his muscles seemed stiff with pain.

"No, don't worry," mewed Silverpaw. "I'll be fine."

"It's no trouble," Sandpaw insisted, and before Silverpaw could argue, he bounded off toward Spottedleaf's den.

He was pacing his small clearing, his eyes clouded with unhappiness.

"Are you okay?" Sandpaw asked.

"The spirits of Starclan are restless. I think they are trying to tell me something," he replied, flicking his tail uneasily. "What can I do for you?"

"I think Silverpaw could do with some poppy seeds for his leg." Sandpaw explained. "His rat bites are still hurting him."

"The pain of losing Frostfur will make his injuries feel worse. But he'll mend in time; don't worry. In the meantime, you're right, poppy seeds will help." Spottedleaf went into his den and brought out a dried poppy head. He placed it carefully on the ground. "Just shake out one or two and give them to him." he meowed.

"Thanks," Sandpaw mewed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Go and see to your friend," answered Spottedleaf, avoiding his gaze.

Sandpaw picked up the poppy head between his teeth and began to walk away.

"Wait," Spottedleaf hissed suddenly.

Sandpaw spun around expectantly and met his tawny gaze. His eyes burned back at him.

"Sandpaw," he hissed. "Starclan spoke to me moons ago, before you joined the Clan. I sense they want me to tell you this now. They said only a sand storm can save our Clan."

Sandpaw stared at Spottedleaf, mystified.

The strange passion faded from his eyes. "Take care, Sandpaw," he meowed in his normal voice, and turned away.

"See you," Sandpaw replied uncertainly. He padded back through the fern tunnel. His strange words were echoing in his mind, but he could not make sense of them. Why had he shared them with him? Surely a sand storm was very uncommon to all who lived in the forest. He shook his head in frustration, and bounded over to the apprentices' den.

"Silverpaw!" Sandpaw hissed into the ear of his sleeping friend. They'd been allowed to rest all morning, after working on repairs for most of the night. Goldenflower had ordered them to be ready to begin training at sunhigh. The strong yellow light filtering through to the den told Sandpaw it was already near that now.

He'd had a restless night. Dreams swirled through his mind each time he fell asleep, confusing and indistinct, but full of darkness and menace.

"Silverpaw!" Sandpaw hissed again. But his friend did not stir. He'd eaten two of the poppy seeds before he'd slept, and now he was in a deep slumber.

"Are you awake, Sandpaw?" Patchpaw mewed from her nest.

Sandpaw spat silently under his breath. He had wanted to talk to Silverpaw before Patchpaw awoke.

"Yes!" he replied.

Patchpaw sat up in her bed of moss and heather and began to wash with quick flicks of her tongue. "Are you going to wake him?" she asked, nodding toward Silverpaw.