Changes (Slice of Life AU)

Characters (AU):
-Silver
-Sonic
-Shadow
-Tails
-Knuckles

Summary:
After hearing that the old school near their hideout might be getting demolished, the boys think back to the good old days, when the now-abandoned neighborhood was still full of life.

===========================

"Did you know that they finally want to demolish the school here?"

With a "hop" Sonic jumped onto the large gate that once separated the schoolyard from the bustling street, but now served no great purpose anymore, other than to rust.

The metal construction swayed back and forth slightly before stopping, as did the laughter of Sonic's friends.

"...What?"

With a worried look on his face, Silver gazed up at to where his friend was seated, ears twitching.

"It's true, I read it on the internet this morning!" the blue hedgehog protested and swung his legs against the construction, which made an uncomfortably loud rattling noise, making everyone flinch.

"Yes, on the internet. A valid reason not to believe it", Shadow answered condescendingly, but didn't cling to his statement with full faith, even though he would never admit to that.

"You know the internet is full of lies-"

"Yes, but I think they really mean it this time!"

Sonic's voice rose in volume, as did Knuckles' eyebrows and Tails' concern.

"You know, they say they've already signed a contract and they want to start demolition over the next months! Do you really think they're just lying or it's actually genuine?"

"There's always the possibility that they'll change their minds and the school will remain. Just like the old apartment building a few blocks away," Shadow interjected again, resting against the schools wall.

"Maybe, but that doesn't have to be the case this time!"

"Well, if they really end up doing so, then our hiding place won't be so 'hidden' anymore," Knuckles said, who sat down next to Sonic on the gate and judging by the sound, the construction was currently on its last stand.

"Exactly! The school not only offers us shade during summer, but also shields our hiding place from any curious eyes! Think about it: If they actually demolish the school, the area to play will be larger, but our secret spot will also be exposed. Then everyone can see our shed and what we do and hanging out isn't as fun anymore!"

Sonic was swinging his legs wildly, causing the blue hedgehog to lose his balance and fall backwards off the gate, which only added to the drama of the situation.

After making sure his best friend was okay, Silver brought the horrible subject up once again.

"I really hope they leave the school be, guys. Where else should we go? There's no other place!"

"In that case I would suggest that we plant some trees, but until they grow to the correct height..."

Tails shook his head at his idea, sighing. "That won't do."

"We could also build a fence around the area."

"That's not allowed, Sonic."

"Damnit"

The always so creative blue hedgehog fell silent. The only sound he made was his sneakers against the rickety gate as he lay in the same position in front of the gate staring up into the sky.