𝐓 𝐑 𝐄 𝐒

"Alright, everything should be in order," I mumble, making sure my suit was on properly while adjusting the legs.

It was no Spider-Man suit by any means, but it was easy to move in and made traveling through universes easier. Miguel had it specially made for me a while back when I first came here, saying I'd end up out on the field with jeans and a death wish if he didn't give me it.

Little did he know I'd do nothing but sit in my apartment and work on paperwork to examine anomalies across the universes that have been reported on already.

"Alright," I breathe, looking at myself in the mirror. "We've got this. Right? Right."

The closer I come to leaving, the more nerves that crawl into my stomach, festering their way into my throat.

I haven't been in another universe since... well since I came here. I didn't want to leave and lose this place, there's too many people I care about.

I shake my head to get rid of those thoughts. This was fine, the spider people do it all the time, and I did it once before too. Nothing bad will happen.

"Okay!" I slap my bracelet and watch the random portal open, stepping inside before I can second-guess myself or my decisions any further.

. . .

It seems like I blink and I'm in a whole new world, taking in everything around me, assessing my situation. "Not too shabby y/n," I smile, resting my hands on my hips at the semi-empty room. "Alright, time to get in contact with Jess."

I call the woman from my bracelet and wait for a ring or two before she answers. "Alright you can—"

I stop short when I'm not met with golden glasses but instead glaring eyes. "What. Are. You. Doing."

"Miguel!" I laugh a small bit and wonder what happened that he has Jess' bracelet. "Didn't expect to see you here."

"Come home," He states, obviously not in the mood to talk or put up with me. "Now."

"If I say no?" Though the plan is sort of faltering, I don't forget my reasons for coming all the way here. There's no use going back now, I'm gonna get in trouble either way. "What then?"

"Hobie," Miguel muttered looking off to the side of his hologram. "Go get y/n, and when she's back make sure you bring her straight to me."

"Sorry dude, but I gotta rock," I hear Hobie's voice, though it seemed distant. "I'm learning how to make chocolate chip cookies with Spider-Gram."

There's silence that followed that, and Miguel looks back at me. "Do you know how much danger you're putting yourself in right now?"

"Enough for you to come and get me?" I reply with sarcasm, walking over to the rooms window to peak outside. "Ooh, no fires or explosions or nothing."

"Are you listening to me?!" His voice gets deeper, meaner, harsher, and I look back to see his face fuming. "I'll be there in a second. Do not move."

His final words were stern and I huff. "If I didn't want to come back before, I don't want to now."

"You belong here at home. We've been over this, no powers mean no missions."

"I'm not on a mission—"

"You're coming home."

"Miguel you aren't listening to me—"

"Don't act like you have a say in this, y/n. I'm coming to grab you right now and you'll come back home!"

"Stop saying home, that's not my home," I growl, and only realize what I'm saying after I've already said it. The words hurt, but I conclude that sooner or later I'd have to accept how I feel about my living conditions after the incident.

Miguel saved my life, and I'll forever be in debt to him for that, but no matter where he takes me, I'm going to have to wear a bracelet.

No matter where I end up, it won't be anything like my home. My life is nothing like what it was supposed to be all those years ago, and I don't let myself forget that. Not that I could forget that.

"...I'll be there," That is the last thing Miguel says before abruptly hanging up, and I frown, knowing I've messed up and that I'm not getting any closer to him, but instead farther than I've probably ever been.

I walk away from the window and wait for Miguel to come, giving myself time to hopefully talk and get closer to him, though it seems impossible now.

"Great..."

. . .

Ahemmmm! This new chapter moves along the plot at least a little. Their emotions are sorta just there...

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?