Present : Her & Him

[ 9 th September]

The sun shone brightly, turning the blue ocean water into sparkling diamonds. Gazing at the Gwangan Bridge in the distance during her walk on Gwangali Beach, memories from the past flooded her mind. Fifteen years of her life had been spent here, and to her, Gwangali felt like a witness to her growth.

However, her heart was heavy with sadness rather than joy, for the ocean brought back memories of him. She used to liken his eyes to the mysterious depths of the ocean. Although she thought she had moved on long ago, she realized she was mistaken. The memories of him lingered, and perhaps they always would. How could they not, when his face appeared everywhere-on posters, screens, and in the news?

Thinking about him still pained her. Sometimes, she questioned whether he had ever truly loved her. The admiration she had seen in his eyes, the songs he wrote for her, the promises of forever-were they all lies? When he had cried while embracing her, were those tears real? It seemed all of it was a facade. But amidst her doubt, she wondered if there had ever been a fleeting moment when he truly loved her. Did he ever miss her after leaving her? Even if only for a brief second. Because she did miss him, despite knowing how he had used and betrayed her. Yet, she isn't foolish enough to desire him. She wished to forget, but he had etched himself permanently into her heart, and it seemed impossible to erase him. He would forever remain in her memories, in her heart. While she knew her place with him, she could never forgive him for his actions. The loud ring of her phone snapped her back to reality.

Getting a vacation was a rarity in her role as a doctor, but finally, she had three days off to celebrate Chuseok. Here she was in Busan at her parents' house, ready to spend the holiday with them. Her love for her parents was immense; she held them dearer than herself. They had supported her through thick and thin, trying their best to understand her. Their hard work had paved the way for her comfortable life and the pursuit of her dreams. Now, seeing them happy and carefree, her heart warmed with contentment.

_____________________________________

[December 30th]

Kim Teahyung's estate sprawled expansively, yet on this night, it seemed smaller due to the countless people gathered there. President, business owners, politicians, actors-everyone had come to wish him on his special day. Despite the grandeur, Teahyung felt unsatisfied and unhappy, for his beloved wasn't in his arms tonight.

It amazed him how, after all these years, she was still the only one he yearned for. Among the gorgeous women dressed in their finest, he desired only her. Every detail reminded him of her. On his special day, his wish was singular: her presence. He didn't need any other gifts. Not a day passed without thoughts of her; it was routine for him to reflect on sweet memories and then regret his mistakes. His actions, born from his arrogance and foolishness, couldn't be undone, even with all his power and wealth.

He had been immature and thoughtless back then. He realized his love for her too late, and by then, the opportunity had slipped away. A wise person had once said that humans often realize the worth of something or someone only when they're gone. The same had happened to him. He hadn't comprehended her significance while she was with him. He believed he could find someone better, more beautiful, with a wealthier background. Yet, after they parted ways, he discovered that love was never about money or beauty; it was about the person.

Her presence had brought color to his life. She made him feel ordinary, at ease. She allowed him to experience a life he was never meant to have. Without her, everything was monochrome; his world lacked vibrancy and genuine emotions. Life drained him, offering power, money, respect, but failing to provide the one thing he longed for-a home. Even Yeontan, his dog, had felt her absence. He remembered how Yeontan had stopped playing, sitting by the door, waiting for her.

But he had suffered enough. He had no intention of living in misery any longer. He was determined to hold her in his arms once again. The wait had been long, but he had a complete plan. Failure was not an option, for he was Kim Teahyung, and he had always obtained everything he desired.

_____________________________________

Hello there!
Did you enjoy this chapter?
I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for reading, voting, and commenting. Your feedback means a lot!