Chapter Eight: Happy Birthday John

Omniscient POV

Beyoncé entered the room where she could see that Smith was preparing for yet another trip in time. The previous night, he had mentioned that she would have to prepare herself to take a few more.

"So, where are we going now?"

Smith looked up from the computer he had been working on. "I need to run some more tests, but send you further back this time. I'm sending you to a festive occasion. Something fun."

"What's the occasion?"

"Wednesday, May 12th, 1937. It's the date when King George the Sixth was crowned. There'll be a huge ceremony at Westminster Abbey and a procession with the new King afterwards. It'll be a very festive occasion with lots of people on the streets.You should be able to easily blend into the crowd. I have some period-appropriate clothing for you in that bag over there."

While Beyoncé would rather just go straight back in time to Normani, further tests did indeed need to be run. This seemed like it would be a fun little trip. Instead of stressing herself out too much, Beyoncé should take advantage of these new experiences she's about to have. No one on earth had done what she had. With a huff, Beyoncé proceeded to grab the bag, heading into the bathroom to change.

She eagerly opened the bag to discover an exquisite ensemble befitting a young lady of the 1930s. The dress, fashioned from a fine, pastel blue fabric, featured a fitted bodice adorned with delicate lace trim and a sweetheart neckline accentuating her elegant silhouette. The skirt gracefully flared out, falling to just below her knees.Completing the look were a pair of dainty, matching blue shoes with comfortable looking heels, ensuring both style and comfort throughout the day.

Beyoncé delicately slipped on the silk stockings and a fashionable hat adorned with a subtle floral arrangement. Lastly, to ward off the spring chill, she draped a long, gray woolen coat over her shoulders. Beyoncé admired her reflection in the mirror, feeling a surge of excitement as she prepared to step into the vibrant celebration. She was ready to go.

"Okay, Beyoncé. In your purse, you'll find directions to the parade route. It shouldn't be too cold, so take your time and enjoy yourself. See some sights, maybe? Practice blending in. I also slipped you a couple pound notes from that period in case you get hungry. Have some supper, see a show, say hello when people greet you! The possibilities are endless."

Smith then handed Beyoncé the watch she would use to recall the wormhole. "One addition. The red button is for emergency escape. Push it three times, and in theory, the wormhole should travel to your location. But I must stress that it's only to be used in a state of dire emergency. The machine isn't designed to move the wormhole very far from this spot, so it's possible it'll overload and self-destruct. There's also a chance it may not work at all. So, like I said, emergencies only. Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Good," Smith responds with a wide smile, walking them both towards the machine. "Now, in 1937, this building is a factory that makes buttons. But because it's coronation day, it'll be closed. Lastly," Smith handed her an old iron key, "I picked this building because it has an original door with an old lock. This door has never been replaced and uses the same key as the day it was built. You will always be able to get in and out of the building with this key, so don't lose it. It leads into the alley behind the building."

With the key in her purse, Beyoncé climbed into the basket and waited for the wormhole to engulf her once more. A few moments later, she could hear the hum of the machine growing louder, and could see a light glimmering below the basket. As before, she was lowered down and found herself in the same room, only it was 1937.