Chapter 1: Reaping Day

Most names are official names as far as I can tell. So don't go complaining about them please. The only ones not are the two brothers.

Third-person POV:

Reaping day. A sad day for most people. An exciting one for others. Today is a reminder to keep in your place. A day to reflect on the past. And a day to pray for the odds to be ever in your favor.

Y/N's POV:

Reaping day. The worst day of the year. Everyone tries to look nice and present well for today. I never saw the appeal. Dressing nice I mean. If your going off to die might as well be comfortable. But here I was stuck while dad attempted to tie one of his old ties around my neck. Old and worn as it is it's still nice considering the condition of the rest of my clothes. A stained and discolored white shirt. With old worn black slacks and peeling leather shoes.

Zander: Why can't I get this thing?

He was still struggling with the tie. I stood there letting him untie then tie it again several times before I was done with it.

Y/N: Do I really need this tie, dad?

Zander: No, but it's your birthday and your mother wants you to look nice.

Of course she does. My mother is obsessed with control and looking better off than we are. My family may run a bakery but we ourselfs aren't nearly as well off as my mother makes us out to be. Dad finally got the tie and stood back to take a look at me and a small smile nearly left his lips, before he returned to his neutral expression.

Zander: Y/N. Answer me honestly. How many times is your name in this year?

He was visibly shaking not enough for it to be obvious but enough to notice if you look.

Y/N: 21.

His hands clenched. Dad was the only one in my family who knew about me taking out tessera. He was never happy about it, but he did help me keep it from mom.

Zander: Y/N, your only fourteen. We make enough to support everyone. Why do you keep doing this?

Y/N: Because there are people who need it. If having a higher chance of dying is the price to pay then so be it.

He just sighed and walked out of the room. I was left alone on the washroom. Leaving soon after. I managed to avoid my mother and brothers and headed out to the seam.

On my way I saw Katniss sneaking about so I decided to follow her. She snuck up to the fence and went under after checking it. I suppose she's meeting with Gale before today. Her sister is entering the drawing pool after all, and she left it about two months ago. I just left her to do her thing and walked away.
Me and katniss were never really friends, but were always cordially with each other. I stopped in front of the Everdeen house. Though it isn't much it's always much warmer than my own home. Walking towards the door I barely get halfway before buttercup is all over my heals. I'm the only one he seems to like other than Prim. Picking him up I knock on the door. And Carine opened the door she looked horrible. Though I didn't expect anything different. One child left the pool only for another to enter. She was bound to be stressed.

Carine: Hello, Y/N, here to see Prim?

Y/N: If it's not to much trouble.

Buttercup visibly perked up at the mention of Prim and lep out of my arms through the door.

Carine: Please, you're always welcome, now come inside. Though I'm afraid you just missed Katniss.

Y/N: That's alright I saw her on my way here.