Chapter 9: Familiar faces

Yasmin's heart was heavy as she stood on the edge of the rooftop of the fire station, taking a moment before her shift started. A week had passed since she received the devastating news on the TV and she tried her best to push those painful memories aside. Focused on the ground beneath her feet, trying to ground herself in the present moment. With a heavy sigh, she sat down against the concrete railing, wrapping her arms tightly around her legs, seeking comfort in their embrace. As the hot LA sun beat down on her face.

"Hey O'Neill, you up there?"

Yasmin's expression remained neutral as she glanced up and saw Buck on the rooftop. It was clear that she wasn't particularly thrilled to see him, but she also wasn't visibly upset. Buck's hands tightly cradled two cups, and wisps of steam gracefully danced above them, indicating their warmth.

"Brought some coffee. . . Figured you'll maybe need it before the shift starts"

Yasmin smiled while nodding.

"How did you know I was up here?"

She asked as Buck handed over a hot cup of coffee and took a seat beside her.

"Bobby told me. . . He is worried about you. . . It seemed like you're struggling with what happened to the married couple we saved. . ."

Yasmin rolled her eyes while she chuckled

"And from all the people he could send. . . He sent you?"

Her voice held a hint of sarcasm.

Buck responded with a chuckle. His smile created little wrinkles around his eyes and grooves in his cheeks

"I know we didn't have a good start. . . But I think I apologized enough this past month"

"I'm glad you finally accepted me"

Yasmin said in a joking way.

Buck learned she was a good person, a girl with a tough history. . . But still managed to fight. . . She was interesting to Buck and many others because of that.

"So why did Bobby send you from all the people he could?"

Buck looked at her with his beautiful blue eyes and brought the cup close to his rosy lips before answering her question.

"So? . . ."

As she glanced at him, tilting her head slightly, it caused Buck to sport a smirk while sipping his coffee.

"A couple of years ago. . . I had it pretty hard when a guy died under my watch. . . U did everything you could to help. . ."

"I feel so sorry. . . For her husband. . . They both needed to survive. . ."

Yasmin said as she interrupted Buck.

"You rescued her husband... He made it through... Hen and Chim did everything they could to help his wife. I understand that it's tough to hear about it on the news... Unfortunately, once we, as first responders, have taken care of them and handed them over to the hospital, it becomes the hospital's responsibility once they've closed their doors."

Feeling a tightness in her chest, Yasmin nodded in response to his words.

"What happened to the man you tried to save?"

With a heavy heart, Buck leaned against the concrete railing and let out a sigh in response.

"Devon was his name. . . He fell out of a roller-coaster. . . The cart was stuck inverted on the rails. . . He held the braces in order not to fall."

"Damn. . ."

Those were the only words that left Yasmin's mouth.

". . . I lowered down a strap, advising Devon to grab it, though Devon refused. . . I told him again to grab the strap. However, Devon refused again. . . And. . ."