4

The faint light from the torch barely pierced the gloom, casting eerie shadows across the room. Gracia crouched hopelessly on the floor, her eyes darting to the dirty curtain every few seconds, anxiously awaiting the return of the shadow. She wondered if they would ever make it back to Townfriday. Claire sat in silence, her face a mask of sorrow as she stared blankly at the wall. Justine sat with her hands over her face, while Bateman paced, his footsteps the only sound breaking the oppressive silence. After the scream, they had all drawn the same conclusion: Lee was either hurt or dead.

"This is all my fault," Claire whispered, her voice thick with guilt. "I shouldn't have said those things to him. He left because of me. I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself."

"It's no one's fault," Bateman sighed, attempting to reassure her. "Someone had to leave, and Lee volunteered."

"Lee is dead," Claire replied bitterly, her eyes still fixed on the grimy wall.

"No," Gracia cut in, her voice shaky but resolute. "Lee's not dead. He's hurt, yes, but not dead." The very thought of Lee in pain made her feel weak.

"We should stay here until dawn," Justine suggested, breaking the tense silence. "Then we can find the car and get help."

Gracia rose to her feet, shaking her head. "No, we should go and find Lee. He's waiting for us. If we don't go, he'll be disappointed. Are you saying we should leave him out there because you're scared? For all we know, Lee is in the most danger. He could be dying!" Her voice broke as she shot a tearful glance at Justine.

"Lee is dead! The sooner you accept that, the better," Claire cried, her voice cracking with emotion. "A demon got him! Didn't you hear his scream? He was in agony!"

Gracia shook her head vehemently. "No, no, I refuse to believe that. Lee is alive." Her eyes pleaded with Bateman. "Bate, why aren't you saying anything? You came up with the plan. You said it would be unwise to stay, and Lee disagreed. Now look where we are."

"Calm down, Gray," Justine said, trying to defuse the situation.

Gracia's voice wavered as she continued. "You and Claire killed Lee, Bate. If you hadn't insisted on this plan, if Claire hadn't pushed him, Lee would still be here. Alive."

Justine sighed, trying to maintain some semblance of order. "Gracia, now is not the time for accusations. We don't know for sure what happened to Lee."

"But we all heard that scream," Bateman muttered, his voice low. "It sounded like he was in trouble, and going outside now could get us all killed. We have to switch to survival mode."

"To hell with your plan!" Gracia shot back. "And to think I ever wanted to listen to you!"

Claire sat up, tears streaming down her face. "It's my fault. Oh God, it's all my fault," she sobbed, her heart breaking with every word.

Bateman walked over to the window, peering through the cracked glass. "It's pitch-black out there," he muttered, his voice filled with unease.

"We should pray we get out of here alive," Justine said, pacing the floor.

"And Lee?" Gracia's voice was barely a whisper.

"I know it's hard for you to accept, but—" Justine began softly.

"But what?" Gracia interrupted, her voice sharp with grief.

Justine fell silent.

"Fine, I admit it's hard for me to accept that Lee might be..." Gracia trailed off, unable to say the word "dead." The thought of it was too much to bear. "But we could at least try to find his body. We don't know for sure."

"I'll find him," Claire suddenly stood up, her face a mask of determination. "I'll bring him back."

"What are you talking about?" Justine's eyes widened. "You can't seriously mean to go out there."

"No one can stop me." Claire headed for the door, ignoring the protests behind her.

"Claire, don't! Please, don't do this," Justine pleaded, her voice desperate.

Bateman stepped in, his tone serious. "Claire, you're acting out of guilt, not logic. It's too dangerous out there."

"I know I'm guilty! Guilty that Lee is alone out there, lifeless," Claire sobbed, barely able to get the words out. "If we don't find him, I'll never forgive myself."

"Claire, listen to me," Gracia said, her voice firm but kind. "You're only carrying a flashlight. You think this is a game? We're all in danger. You'll be risking your life if you go out there."

"If it clears my conscience, then so be it," Claire said defiantly as she opened the door and stepped into the cold, dark night.

"Lee!" she screamed into the void, her voice trembling. The wind howled in response, whipping her hair across her face. "I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have blamed you! Please forgive me!" She continued forward, her tears falling freely.

"Bate, don't let her go far," Gracia said urgently. Bateman nodded and hurried after Claire, his steps quickening on the wet, stony ground. He caught up to her, grabbing her arm.

"Claire, stop," he said firmly. "Do you want to die out here? Lee wouldn't want this."

"What do you mean?" she asked, turning toward him.

"His soul is watching you, Claire," Bateman said gently. "He wouldn't want you to suffer like this."

For the first time that night, Claire hesitated. "I... I didn't think about it like that," she whispered, her voice softening.

"Come back inside," Bateman urged. "He's forgiven you. Let's not make him hurt more by watching you suffer."

Claire nodded weakly, and together they made their way back to the cabin.

Inside, Justine and Gracia paced nervously until they heard the knock. When the door opened, Justine hugged Claire tightly. "Don't ever do that again. We stick together."

"One is gone; you shouldn't be the next," Gracia added softly.

Bateman, his expression dark, muttered, "Something was following us."

"What?" Justine asked, alarmed.

"I don't know. But whatever it is, it's out there."

The tension thickened as they exchanged uneasy glances, and Gracia whispered, "Marylou Bellamy... could it be?"

"Stop it, you're freaking me out," Justine said sharply.

A silence fell over the room, only to be broken by Justine's sudden declaration. "I need to use the bathroom," she announced, grabbing the torch and heading into the back room.

A few moments later, she called out, her voice laced with confusion. "Guys, you need to see this."

Gracia and Bateman joined her, staring in shock at what she had found. A door they hadn't noticed before.

"There's a back door," Justine said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"How did we miss this?" Gracia wondered aloud.

Bateman moved to unlock it. A gust of cold air blew in as the door creaked open, revealing an unexpected sight.

"There's a fence... and..." Bateman's voice trailed off.

"And what?" Gracia asked, her voice tense.

"A grave," Bateman replied, his tone grim.

"A grave?" Justine's heart raced.

"Yes, and... oh my God." Bateman's voice was now tinged with fear.

"Bate, what is it?" Justine called out, panic rising in her voice.

"Shut the door. Now!" Bateman's urgent cry sent a chill down their spines.

Without hesitation, Justine slammed the door shut.