Chapter 3

"Okay, look, don't you think we can just... talk our way out of this?" Chance asks while being held at gunpoint. He has no idea what's going on.

The blonde-haired girl with pale blue eyes doesn't plan on settling this by talking. She makes that clear enough when she silently prepares to pull the trigger and perform an execution, prompting Chance to back away and reach for his Quasar Star Jar.

"Sorry for this, but... you kinda forced my hand," he says as he opens the jar and sticks his hand in it, beginning his Quasar Star Jar All-Star suit-up sequence, making the girl become bewildered.

"What the hell kind of fever dream is this?" she asks, still stunned and confused. It's short-lived, though, as she quickly returns to aiming at Chance, who soon finishes his transformation, now suited up and holding his Quasar Star Jar All-Star Blastar, prompting her to transform into her Graceful Cavalier form.

Chance isn't familiar with what a Gracefallen is, but he does want to defend himself. So he fires his Blastar, sending the girl flying back from the hit.

"Ugh... what the hell was that?" the girl mumbles to herself as she lifts her head, looking up at Chance from the ground. She teleports her gun back into her hand, but doesn't aim again even as he approaches her, now knowing whose side Chance is on. She transforms out of her Graceful Cavalier form, returning to her normal appearance. From there, everything goes black as she passes out.

After undoing his transformation and returning to his civilian appearance, Chance becomes worried, rushing over to help her up. Everything's just as much of a blur for him as he tries to figure out what to do, eventually finding somewhere to take her to.

There aren't many doctors in the Underworld, but Chance got lucky enough to find one willing to care for Alice on top of letting him stick around to keep an eye on her. What had Chance panicked turns out to have just been a concussion Alice suffered from hitting the ground, which he had never intended to cause. Fortunately, she eventually wakes up. Her ears are ringing and her head hurts, among other things, though.

"What... happened?" she asks.

"The doctors said you just have a concussion," Chance responds, sitting down. "Even though we basically only just met, I'm... I'm just glad you're alright."

Alice looks at Chance, sighing.

"You didn't have to try to be a damn hero and help me, you know. I would've been fine on my own."

"I couldn't just leave you there like that," Chance responds. "There's no telling what could've happened to you. I know I didn't have to help, but I wanted to."

Alice rolls her eyes and glances away, responding, "Fine, you got me there. Now, why did you come here of all places?"

"The Watchful Eye found out something's coming, and wanted backup," Chance explains. "We were the first people to pick up on their message."

"The Watchful Eye... you definitely took up something pretty big, then," Alice responds. "I don't know much about what they're dealing with, other than that it's something bad."

Chance nods.

"Yeah... I dunno where to start, though. I mean, I'm not from here, and..."

Alice looks at him, deliberating her options. After a few moments of silence, she speaks again.

"I could help, since I know this place like the back of my hand and I've got close connections here. Just... do us both a favor and don't do anything stupid that might get you shot, stabbed, or whatnot."

"I... thank you. And don't worry, I won't," Chance says. He then adds with a smile, "Oh, by the way, I'm Chance Porter. It's nice to meet you."

"Alicia West," Alice responds. "I prefer to be called Alice, though."

"Partners?" Chance asks.

"Partners," Alice reaffirms. She can't help but smile now, since seeing someone like Chance is a refreshing change of pace after living in the constant gloominess of the Underworld. And yet, she can't help but wonder one thing: where on earth is this going to go next?