04

Her hands suddenly clenched and the shadows around us shifted their attention toward attacking me. 

I'm dying. I was sinking into the ground with black inky shadows pooling at my waist. Before I could think, my instincts took over. I clawed my way up to the surface, biting, scatching, and kicking at anything that moved. I had only one thought in my mind. 

I am a survivor.

 I was suddenly at surface level. My hands acted on a mind of my own and shot a wall of fire towards Reana. The weird thing is, she didn't move. 

Her eyes were full of agony as the bright light died down.

 "Reana?"

 "Reana?

 I couldn't see. I could only hear ragged breathing. My feet were stumbling over themselves trying to get to her.

 "Reana..." She was lying in a pool of her own blood. She offered me a weak smile.

 "I'm sorry..." she rasped. 

"No, I'm sorry," I desperately gasped. I tugged on her shirt, urging her to let me carry her. "If we hurry we can still find a hospital!" Reana chuckled but then doubled over in pain.

 "Heti...I accept my fate." 

"Reana," I cried cupping her face to my hand. "You are the only thing I have left!" 

Shuddering with each word she gasped, "Heti, I was selfish." Tears were flowing down her face by then. She reached out to swipe her thumb over my cheek. 

"P-promise me this," she coughed with each word. "Don't make m-my death in vain" I nodded, tears flowing freely down my face.

 "I promise!" With one last breath, her chest was still.