Chapter 3

As I reflect on our senior year in high school, I can't help but think about how Galen became an integral part of our tight-knit group. It all started with the typical things that high school seniors do together. We spent countless hours hanging out at the local diner, John Jones Diner, discussing everything from movies and music to our dreams and aspirations. It became our unofficial headquarters, where we laughed, shared stories, and devoured milkshakes and fries like it was our last meal.

In the midst of our carefree moments, there was an ongoing feud between us and Colton Hoggins, the school bully. It seemed like every encounter with him would ignite a spark of confrontation, fueled by his arrogant demeanor and penchant for picking on others. But we quickly learned how to address him, standing up for ourselves and for those who couldn't. Together, we formed an unspoken alliance, a united front against Colton's bullying tactics.

During one of our usual diner gatherings, Maya joined our group. She was Ike's cousin, a senior like us but attending a different school. Maya exuded a boyish charm that blended effortlessly with her undeniable cuteness. Her short, tousled hair framed a face adorned with a mischievous smile and a pair of lively, expressive eyes.

"Hey, Galen," I nudged him playfully, "meet Maya. She's Ike's cousin and she's joining our little adventure."

Galen turned his gaze towards Maya, a faint smile forming on his lips. "Hey, Maya. Nice to meet you."

Maya returned the greeting with a friendly smile. "Likewise, Galen. I've heard a lot about you from Andrei and the others. Seems like we're in for some interesting times."

As we spent more time together, it became evident that Galen had a special fondness for me. He sought my company, often engaging in one-on-one conversations where we shared our hopes, fears, and dreams. There was an unspoken connection between us, a bond that seemed to go beyond mere friendship. It was a feeling I couldn't quite explain, but one that made our moments together even more meaningful.

While Galen had grown close to the entire group, it was clear that our connection held a special place in his heart. He looked to me for guidance and support, trusting me with his deepest secrets. It was a responsibility I didn't take lightly, cherishing the role I played in his life.

As the weeks passed, our bond with Maya and Galen grew stronger. We became inseparable, facing the challenges of our final year together. Whether it was navigating the pressures of exams and college applications or dealing with personal struggles, we leaned on each other for support and understanding. The diner became our refuge, a place where we could escape the stress of the outside world and simply enjoy each other's company.

*****

As the rain poured relentlessly on that Saturday, we found ourselves confined to our respective homes, seeking solace in our online chat group. It was a familiar routine, exchanging banter and sharing updates about our lives. But this time, something was amiss. Galen, who had always been an active participant in our conversations, was conspicuously absent. His profile showed that he was offline, leaving us to wonder what might be occupying his thoughts.

Concerned about Galen's uncharacteristic silence, I decided to reach out to him personally. I sent him a message, hoping for a response that would alleviate the growing unease in my heart. Minutes passed, and still, no reply came. Just as I was about to give up, my cellphone rang, and to my surprise, it was Galen.

His voice was choked with sobs, and it was clear that he had been drinking. In a vulnerable and broken tone, he asked if I could come to him. The weight of his plea hit me hard, and without a second thought, I made a hasty decision to rush to his side, ignoring the protests of my concerned mother.