Sneakers

They did not have a plan.

It had been a few days since they decided they'd investigate Shane and his connection to Scott, but with no leads, the three boys had been unable to do more than keep an eye on their counselor's behavior.

Drew turned to his side and pulled his covers over his shoulders, trying to get comfortable, but he knew it was no use. He'd only gotten a few measly hours of restless sleep before bolting awake from a nightmare. He stared out of the barley illuminated window next to the cabin door, looking for signs of an intruder. In his dream Shane had come while they were sleeping to finish them off and, while Drew knew it was unlikely, he couldn't help but monitor the only entrance to their small, unprotected home.

Drew didn't want to go to Scott's memorial service that was later that morning. He didn't know if he could handle it. He couldn't face all the other campers knowing they'd been lied to. He couldn't see Shane pretending to mourn knowing he was the one responsible. And he didn't want his final goodbye to Scott to be tainted with their inability to get proper justice for him.

Without thinking, Drew ripped his covers off and stood up. He had to get out of the cabin. He had to give his mind something else to think about.

He grabbed his soap and towel and headed for the door. As he opened it he took one last look behind him to make sure his friends were still there, still breathing, before closing it and walking down the path towards the showers. The cool morning air quickly chilled his skin, chasing away any remaining drowsiness from his mind. He stopped and stood in the middle of the path for a moment to enjoy the sights and smells around him. The dimly lit gravel path, the smell of wood and dirt, the sound of bugs and frogs and birds. Feelings of comfort and nostalgia filled him and his body relaxed for the first time in days.

Drew decided he was going to enjoy himself, even if it only lasted a moment, before walking into the communal showers and hopping in. Typically Drew would be showering later in the evening after all of the hot water had been used up; the chilly water was usually just what he needed after messing around all day under the scorching sun. However, the water in the morning was blissfully warm. He turned to let the hot water beat down on his back and he closed his eyes.

He stood there, just letting his body feel, when suddenly he thought, What if someone is out there?

His heart stopped and his eyes flew open. No, there was no one there, stop freaking yourself out, Drew thought, but his heart continued to flutter in spite of himself. He took a moment to listen to his surroundings but heard nothing over the sound of water hitting concrete and skin. He took a deep breath to calm himself and quickly finished his shower. He needed to leave. Kurtis and Danny would be waking up soon anyways.

As he headed back down the path to his cabin, the wind caught his towel and blew it towards the cafeteria. Drew groaned and chased after it, but everytime he took a step closer, a new gust picked it up and pushed it a little further away as if it were teasing him.

It finally stopped after being blown in between the shower building and the cafeteria, the two buildings dissipating the breeze. He ran to catch up with it, and as he neared the spot where it had stopped, he heard a counselor's voice echoing from the cafeteria's back porch. "It just feels so disrespectful," he heard JennaMarbles say. "I know the police are protesting 911 calls right now because their budget submission for a rocket launcher got denied, but stuff like this can't just be ignored," Captainsparklez said. Ugh. Drew was so glad he didn't have to worry about old people things like local politics. How boring.

He grabbed the towel. It was covered in leaves. He sighed and started to shake it out. But NigaHiga's voice carried around the corner saying, "Seriously. It's starting to become a health hazard. Our facilities aren't cut out for this. The cafeteria freezer is only going to preserve his body for so long."