𝐒 𝐈 𝐄 𝐓 𝐄

I feel a cramp in my stomach and groan as Miguel crouches down to my shrunken form, wrapping his arm under me to hoist me up, holding my body against his to offer support. "I've got you..."

I'm set down on one of his few available seats, and I let out a small sigh as I feel sicker and sicker by the second.

"I need a new bracelet," I mutter, motioning to my demolished one with a roll of my eyes. Given I'd been away from my universe for so long, I have to keep my bracelet on or else I could die, and I'm feeling the effects of not having one rather harshly. "Quickly would be nice."

Miguel nods. "Lyla!" This time, the girl does appear, and he seems kinda shocked that she did. "Where were you?!"

"I got disconnected for a bit. I hear I missed some stuff," She smiles, and though I'm always one for Lyla's banter, my body is shutting itself down. "Ah, y/n. Jess is coming with a bracelet, I could tell when you disconnected from my server and reached out as soon as I could."

"Thanks Lyla," I mumble, groaning a small bit. Miguel comes back over, wiping a small bit of sweat from my forehead, and I look at him. "What happened to your y/n?"

"Really? You're still asking me questions? tu mujer persistente." He chuckles deep, quite nice to hear after his mood all day and... whatever was suddenly growing between us.
*You persistent woman*

Thinking about it, I feel like I know the answer to this question, but I was curious to hear it come from Miguel's mouth, despite my current situation. "Humor me."

He lets my face go, a small frown etching into his features, a look not uncommon to him. "I didn't know what I had until it was all gone..."

Miguel doesn't elaborate further, but I wasn't gonna push for any more details. I knew what he meant just by that statement alone.

I feel another glitch wrack my body and grab the arms of the chair, waiting for it to be done before I continue my questions. "So... you and I are destined to be nothing but mere acquaintances despite—"

"We're done with this for today, your pupils are dilating," Miguel ignores my final comments as Jess walks in, the bracelet in her hand and a frown on her face.

She tries to come over to me but Miguel snatches the object, holding my arm as he puts the accessory on with gentle fingers, and I feel my face heat for new reasons, seeing his concerned eyes and small focused pout as he clipped the metal.

Jess continues walking closer despite Miguel. "I'm glad you're alright," She sighs, giving me a small side hug. "Miguel knew you were gone before you'd even fully stepped through the portal."

"You let her leave," Miguel muttered to his trusted right hand, his eyebrows raised. "Did you not?"

Jess goes quiet, looking back down at me and then at the burly man. "It was a mistake I won't make again."

He nods curtly, and I grumble. "You guys do know I'm more than capable of making my own decisions right? It's annoying when you talk like I'm not here."

Feeling much better, and finally gaining back strength, I get irritated. Miguel looks pointedly at me. "You can make your own choices, as long as you stay within this universe. Today was a fine example of what can occur when you leave, what would've happened if I wasn't there when you were attacked?"

"Miguel I'm not a child," I stand, looking the man in his eyes, challenging him. "You can't simply make me bend to your every will."

"I'm not asking you to—"

"But you are!" I finally yell, feeling my eyes start to burn with building tears. "You are asking me to! It's not fair! I didn't want to be here, I don't want to feel like a trapped animal when you and everyone else around here get to roam free! You just need to listen to me and you'll understand how I feel! I'm—"

"I won't lose you again," Miguel snaps, his eyes glowing red as he stared down at me, fangs barred. "If I have to be the villain to assure that, so be it."

That's the first time he'd ever actually shown me how evil and spine-chilling he could look, and I fall silent, shaking my head as more tears start falling in large globs of crystal.

"You don't care about me... you just care about what I represent for you; I'm nothing but a placeholder for the woman you lost."

. . .

I have no idea how long to make this book but I sorta feel like right now they're confused. Lost about how they feel and where they stand. y/n and Miguel don't grasp their actions and they're starting to question themselves and their purpose and decisions and lose sight of what they are to each other. It's pretty deep to me, along with the plot, but I can't tell if I'm conveying it like that.

Like she's glitching not just because she broke her bracelet (cause obviously) but because she's struggling to express herself and feels broken and shattered. While Miguel is resorting to violence and dominance with small hints of how he truly feels because he's having internal battles about where to go and what to do from here. Anywayyyy

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?