The Joel Interlude

When Joel had first met Lizzie, he was in love.

Like heart in the eyes, would do anything for her, in love.

There was just a lot to love about her from her kindness to her naturally pink hair that she would have braided.

Joel had met her when they were both around seven years old. It had been in Mezalea, in his own home.

"Joel, we have some visitors for the next few weeks, you need to be on your best behavior." His mother said but her eyes were sparkling with that undying mischief. She loved some good pranks and fun just as much as Joel.

"Of course, I wouldn't expect nothing less." He snickered covering his mouth to hide the sly smirk. He didn't need to hide it from her but his father would hate for any visitors to be treated unwell.

The said king sighed, shaking his head. He already knew the antics of his wife and only son but a small smile was on his lips, betraying his sterness.

"Who are these visitors?" Joel finally asked, tilting his head. He loved that his crown wasn't required while with his parents, he hated when it fell off from simple actions like this.

The king smiled. "Well, I have some business with the Ocean Empire and they decided to make it a family diplomatic trip to get everyone out of the palace. The King and Queen have two kids, Grian is about ten, and Lizzie who is your age."

Joel's eyes widened in excitement and he squealed. He loved getting to see kids just like him growing up in palaces. Don't get him wrong, he had friends in the village but they always treated him like glass. Princes and princesses never treated him that way, never afraid to step on his toes or be mean to him. Not to mention, he hadn't met any that were his age exactly, they were always annoyingly older or toddler aged.

So, he awaited the day for them to arrive.

And they were just as amazing as he imagined.

He ran down the steps, practically tripping in order to watch as the carriage pulled up, some of the finest Mezalean horses pulling it. First, the King stepped out with little help despite some helper trying. He then held his hand out and the Queen stepped out daintily. Next was a young boy, Joel assumed he was Grian. His crown was in hand, not even on his head. He looked a mess but Joel didn't mind, he was always a mess when not in front of others.

And lastly, the King held his hand out and helped the youngest child out.

She had a beautiful smile.

Joel stopped, faltering. She was beautiful with hair silky and long. It was pink just like her father's and she was close in height to her older brother. Her crown was extravagent and she wore a beautifully rich dress, something that screamed money.

Lizzie, huh?

He didn't notice his own parents until they stepped down to greet the family, shaking the royal's hands before gesturing for Joel to come meet them.

He stumbled but didn't let his eyes off of the princess.

"This is Joel, say hi." His father introduced, nudging him.

"Hi, you are beautiful, I MEAN-" He screamed, clamping a hand over his mouth. He was red in embarrassment.

Lizzie laughed softly, face also turning a bright red. The adults had knowing looks on their faces, watching with amusement. Grian smirked.

"I mean," he took a deep breath to compose himself, "it is wonderful to meet you all." He formally spoke, trying to calm his nerves.

Lizzie just giggled, her own hand covering her mouth.