Chapter 32

*Luke's POV*

My fingers wrapped around the coffee cup as I felt the steam tickle my nose softly with the heat. Calum and I found a booth by one of the windows in the café. I sat down across from his, as I smiled brightly.

I know Calum hated us being a secret, but..there was something kind of fun about sneaking around. I felt like I was a different person, like I wasn't stuck in this position where I had to be something. I felt for the first time in my life like I was free. And that made me selfish.

"Alright," I flicked my lip ring, as I sipped my coffee. "For my first question, I have to ask you the most important thing you will ever be asked.." My voice fragged on as I pointed to his coffee cup. "How can you drink straight, black coffee?"

Calum let out a laugh as he took another sip. The warmth in his eyes dance, as he stared across the table at me. His eyes could be so scary, yet so inviting at the same time. "Well, at least I can still taste my coffee," He teases. "You watered that thing down with sugar, and cream."

I smirked, tilting my head. "You never answered the question."

He smiled, as he let out a light, happy laugh. "Who knows? Maybe I just have refined taste.." He pressed his lips together, as he studied me carefully.

"Your turn," I smiled sipping my coffee. I messed with the end of my soaking wet flannel, as I listened carefully.

I could tell Calum had a question in mind. He blinked hard as he looked out the window, before turning back to me. "What happened between you and Mason?"

I could feel my cheeks growing hot. I hadn't talked to Mason since the night I'd caught him and Calum together. I was too scared. I had way too many questions that I'd been racking my mind with since I last saw him.

"Well," I whispered sipping my drink. "He's Leah's brother. And Leah and I have pretty much been best friends for our entire lives. I kind of developed a little crush on him, but he was way older than me, and he was really popular, and I wasn't at the time.."

I felt Calum loosely grab my hand under the table, as he squeezed it. I smiled sadly, as I continued.

"One summer, Leah and I were staying at their cabin on the beach. Leah was asleep, and....he kissed me," I whispered quietly, making sure no one was listening. I tugged gently at the end of my flannel. "He told me he'd come out to his parents, so they kicked him out. He also said...he also said he loved me. I got scared, and yelled at him. I told Leah everything, and once Mason moved away, we never talked about it again."

"...and then I fucked everything up," He nodded, pressing his lips into a straight line. "Gotcha."

"Things were already messy, Cal," I told him honestly, as I sipped my coffee. I shook my head gently. "You didn't do anything wrong. We weren't together then."

"It was wrong, and the specifics don't matter," He smiled at me, as I looked him straight in the eyes. "I liked you, and that scared me, so I ran off with him. That's what I do. I get scared that things are going to get messed up, so I mess them up myself so at least I have control over it."