𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕.

GIRLFRIEND !
(
chapter eight )

      SYDNEY HAD FINALLY DECIDED to listen to Teresa and actually purchase a pregnancy test. She'd roamed through the aisle of the pharmacy, searching for what appeared to be a legit test. 

And the girl only hoped that no one from school would happen to run into her just now. 

With a shaky hand, she grabbed one from the top shelf and shielded it with her hand, quick to check out. 

Once she got to the register and placed the box on the countertop, the elderly woman pushed her glasses back up her nose and looked the teenager up and down. "Oops, right?"

Sydney attempted a chuckle, but instead, it just came out like a shaky breath. She'd felt beyond embarrassed to be standing at a pharmacy, purchasing a pregnancy test at the age of 17. 

       "12.98." 

The brunette cleared her throat, pulling the red credit card out of her purse and sliding it into the reader. 

The reader rang and the cashier slid the box back toward her, along with the receipt, and neither of them said anything else has she began to walk away, growing more anxious at the thought of someone seeing her with a pregnancy test in hand and spreading the news amongst the entire school. 

       "Sydney?"

Perfect. Sydney thought, her heart nearly stopping as she heard Devi's footsteps near her. She wasn't sure if she should pretend she didn't hear her, or simply make a run for it. However, she was too late to do anything because Devi was right in front of her. 

        "Hey, I thought that was you!" Devi smiled, watching Sydney's anxious figure, then her eyes glanced down at the pregnancy test in hand--in which, Sydney was quick to tuck away in her cardigan. The girl paused, her smile fading. "Are you pregnant?"

Sydney wiped the tip of her reddened nose, sniffling lightly, averting eye contact. "I don't know, Devi."

She'd known for sure at this moment that she was absolutely and utterly screwed. Devi was an attention seeker at best, and now, with the possibility of Sydney being pregnant; it was the perfect opportunity to drag her down and take over the throne. 

"Just... don't tell anyone about this. Alright?" Her tone was strained and her voice cracked, sounding the most vulnerable she'd been. And she hated it. 

Devi nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, definitely." 

Sydney swallowed, sparing the brunette a nod--a silent thank you--as she walked out ultimately. 

            SYDNEY HAD BEEN LAYING HER HEAD in Ethan's lap, fiddling with the rings on his fingers while the two sat in silence, Ethan had been admiring the girl's features, while Sydney's mind was somewhere entirely different; still worrisome about Devi and her mouth. 

Finally, Ethan spoke up. "What's wrong?"

Sydney didn't respond, she just continued to twirl the same ring on his index finger that she had been fiddling with for nearly five minutes. 

       "Syd." Ethan's voice was calm and controlled, yet still, had a speck of worry laced within. 

Sydney didn't look at him, she couldn't bare to right now. "Hmm?"

        "What's going on with you?" He repeated. 

The brunette shrugged, her shoulders drifting against his knees. "Why do you think something's wrong?"

He chuckled. "You're doing that thing with your brows and you're only replying with 'mm-hmm' or by shaking your head." 

Sydney hinted at a smile. "You've been analyzing me this whole time?"

He spared her a knowing look. "Syd, we've known each other for three years, and were dating for two of them. I'm pretty sure I know when my girlfriend's upset."

Sydney actually smiled now. "Girlfriend?" 

Ethan's lips curled as he rolled his eyes playfully. "You know what I mean." 

She tilted her head up, just enough to where she could reach his lips. She kissed him softly and it was exactly what the two needed; a silent affirmation of reassurance. 

Ethan gently placed his hand against the side of her neck, pulling away. "Hey, you cannot just kiss me and think that I'm gonna forget something is clearly wrong."

Rolling her eyes, Sydney leaned back onto his thigh. "Nothing is wrong. I just don't feel well." 

      "Fine." He gave up, but Sydney honestly had hoped he wouldn't have. "Are you excited to be turning eighteen?"

Sydney had honestly forgotten her birthday was just a week away, and that graduation was just a few weeks afterward. She hummed, nodding once. 

When really, she was not excited at all.