When Worlds Get Round

The world got round. Or specifically, the world in Rainpaw's head got round. She met River for the first time in forever. Twistedstream and Shellpaw noticed that the two looked alike, the only difference being in the tint of "blue" spots.

Shellpaw cocked his head curiously. "Why did she leave?" He whispered sneakily into Twistedstream's ear, hopping up on a rock blown in by the storm to reach it. The storm was irrelevant. Twistedstream shrugged slightly. "I don't know either." He whispered back. He was just as curious as the apprentice, but he felt it would be wrong to question River. "Oh." Shellpaw muttered, disappointed. He had thought that Twistedstream might've known. "Maybe she was exiled!" He gasped out loud, very excited at the thought. River would hear this, but didn't mind the questioning. He was a young apprentice, still learning. He shouldn't be punished just for being curious. So she answered the question herself. "I wasn't exiled, I just left. I needed some time to recover after the Bay Incident." Shellpaw deflated slightly. "Oh." He meowed again. "I didn't realize you could do that. Wait, what Bay Incident?" Twistedstream looked uneasily from Shellpaw to River. He wasn't sure if he should step in, or leave River to give the apprentice an answer.

"That isn't your choice to make." He thought to himself, stepping back and glancing towards River as he waited for her response.

"Well, it was back when most of you were kittens. Me and my mate, Rhineshine, took our little ones out to the bay. Rainkit and Wingkit. We loved them like no other. And then, a SandClan patrol ambushed us. I ran with Rainkit in my jaws and Wingkit on my back. Though Wingkit slipped off when I hadn't noticed. I went back to help my mate, and to find Wingkit, but it was too late. Wingkit was missing, and Rhineshine was dead. His gray tabby fur was stained. So I ran away. I know it was a bad thing in hindsight, but I couldn't let Rainkit see me like that." Shellpaw stared at her, eyes wide. Twistedstream dipped his head in respect to River. "I admire your honesty. It must be hard to talk about it." Then Shellpaw started to babble. "Oh StarClan." He whispered. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have- I didn't-" Then he frowned, pausing his horrified babbling for a moment. "Did you say RAINkit?" "I did say Rainkit. Are there other Rainkits here?" River joked quietly. "Um.." Shellpaw stammered. "Is it..Do you... Is Rainpaw...?" "Where is Rainpaw anyway?" Twistedstream mumbled. He hasn't seen the little snowball in a hot minute. "Here." Rainpaw interjected, chuckling through her words. Her white fur and blue-gray spots somehow seamlessly blended with the shadows of the den. "It's nice to meet you Riverside. I'm surprised your kitten's name is my name, but it's probably a coincidence." She purred in amusement. Shellpaw gaped at the two of them. "You look like... You two look the same." Twistedstream would look from River to Rainpaw upon Shellpaw's observation. He'd agree with Shellpaw with a silent, small nod. River and Rainpaw stared into each other's eyes, occasionally gazing at the fur or ears of the other. They didn't see it.