Chapter Six

The room was dark and stifling and smelled of must and dust. When King Gavin sent Appa in ahead of him he immediately sighed. The room was huge and decorated elegantly, dominated by a four poster bed surrounded by heavy velvet curtains.

"Who is the patient?" Appa asked, his voice low.

 "Ava darling, are you awake?" The King called gently and a small form shifted in the bed.

 "Yes." A small voice said, and a young girl sat up, pushing aside the blankets covering her.

 "This is..."

 "Hello child, I'm Appa." He inserted when the King hesitated, and he moved to the girl's bedside. "I'm here to help you feel better."

 The girl considered him for a moment before nodding. "That's what the last four said." She stated softly and Appa sighed.

"I know they did, but I'm a special kind of doctor."

 Her eyes widened a fraction and she cocked her head curiously. "What kind of doctor are you?"

"I'm a very good doctor. You see, I studied in the Forbidden Forest." The King coughed, but Appa ignored him.

Ava crawled out from under the blankets and turned to face him more fully. "Really?"

"Really, really. Now, I'm going to open up a window in here, okay? We're going to let in some light, is that okay?" The little girl nodded, but the King stepped forward.

"The last doctor, actually, said that the dark would make whatever her disease is become dormant."

Appa narrowed his eyes, considering the King thoughtfully. "Who was the last doctor you employed?"

"The best among my courts. He delivered both of my children."

Appa nodded, turning to look at Ava. She gazed up at him with massive eyes, clearly still curious. Smiling at her fondly he turned back to the King. "Is this your daughter?"

"It is." He stated proudly, puffing out his chest importantly.

"Would you like me to be perfectly honest with you as I treat her, Your Majesty?"

"Of course."

"The last man you hired was an idiot. Will you open a window for me?"

"Pardon me?" The King blinked.

"I do believe you heard me. By keeping your daughter in the dark you are only making her more ill. She needs fresh air and light."

The King looked shocked, but he moved to the window and cast aside the heavy curtains. Light streamed in suddenly, dying with the day. A brilliant sunset was visible through the window and the girl turned to it in awe.

Appa smiled and nodded. "Now, the window." He prompted.

"It's freezing outside, you'll kill her."

Appa shook his head. "Just for a little bit, while I talk to her, then we can close it once more."

King Gavin looked skeptical, but he unlatched the window and pushed it open and a crisp gust of air entered at once.

Appa nodded and turned to his patient with a small smile. "How does that feel child?"

She smiled a frail smile and nodded, "It feels nice." She said in a small voice and Appa nodded once again.

"Now then, will you tell me what's bothering you?"

"I don't feel well." The girl stated, her dark eyes wide.

In the light she didn't look good. Her skin was pale, a state uncommon in the southern kingdom, and there were dark smudges beneath her eyes.