chapter thirty-eight

So the grand confession plan is still in motion. Taehyung isn't sure what the details of the grand confession are – except for confessing. Jimin planned it for the most part, and he failed to give Taehyung the step-by-step directions. It's a new experience for Taehyung, to go into something without knowing each and every part of the plan. All he knows is that they are carrying a massive white cloth onto the rooftop of their school, as well as three cans of paint and three huge brushes. Taehyung would bet they're renovating a house rather than helping him confess his feelings.

He's been questioning this for the past week, since the unfulfilled kiss on the field. He had so many opportunities to tell Wooshik how he feels – whether they were in his room, in Wooshik's house, at the field or on the bench in front of the convenience store. He could have just taken his hand and told him, but the grand confession made more sense.

At least at the beginning, because now, it doesn't feel right.

There is something about bringing his feelings to the surface, for everyone to hear about them, that makes Taehyung uncomfortable. Not the good kind that pushes you to grow. Instead of doing what he wanted to do, he's trying to do something that will be memorable. Something that would beat every other person that could ever fall for and confess to Wooshik.

But it's not about the size of the gesture. It has never been about what Taehyung does. They're not friends because of Taehyung's undertakings. They are friends because they fit together when they are themselves.

This - the rooftop, the grand confession - is not Taehyung.

"Wait, guys, stop," he says, pausing before the door to the rooftop closes. He puts the can of paint away.

Taehyung isn't from the world of grand gestures. He's from the world of late nights at the field, just the two of them. The world of tight hugs, secretive smiles, sharing candy on the curb, and resending each other the same meme six times a week until it doesn't seem funny anymore.

Jungkook and Jimin look at him.

"I'm sorry, but I changed my mind," he says, reaching for his phone.

"You're not confessing?" Jimin asks.

"I am." Taehyung scrolls trough the short list of names and calls Wooshik. "But not like this. This is... not it. Sorry. I appreciate your help but this is not me." The moment Wooshik picks up, Taehyung is already speaking. "Can you meet me at the field now?"

"Is everything okay?" Wooshik asks.

"Yes, perfectly fine. I just need to tell you something. Can you come?"

This might be the bravest Taehyung has been in years. He's channeling his twelve-year-old self, who would have done this weeks ago without much thinking prior.

"Yeah, sure," Wooshik says. "I'll leave in two minutes."

Taehyung hides the phone and locks eyes with Jimin, giving him an apologetic, slightly awkward smile.

"What are you waiting for?" Jimin asks, eyes wide. "Go, get your man!"

Taehyung huffs a laugh and turns around, bursting through the door. "Sorry once again!" The door closes behind him, and he speeds down the staircase.

He runs through the empty school and down the street, to the field they met and grew up on. A field where Taehyung fell in love before he knew what it meant.

He reaches it in fifteen minutes. Taehyung strides across the field, bright lights giving all the spotlight to Wooshik, who juggles the ball, doing the 'around the world'. Taehyung smiles, remembering the day they learned the trick. Here. At home.