𝟎𝟓 - 𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

THE YOUNG FAMILY carries their belongings across the shore, with lo'ak in the lead. he carries his bow in hand in addition to the heaviest satchel out of all their baggage. he has not told tsireya about how they were going to get there, but rather told her to trust him instead. tsireya was more than happy to go along with that.

concerning the children, lo'ak and tsireya had not told them exactly what was happening, only that they were going on an adventure to see lo'ak's side of the family so to not frighten them. zo'ile and mekanei were thrilled at the idea and went along with whatever their parents asked them to do. to them, it was simply a whole new world for them to explore.

the sky is a clear blue, matching the color of the sea below it, with the ocean water glittering in the sunlight. it happened to be perfect weather to start the family off on their journey.

zo'ile and mekanei walk side by side in the middle behind lo'ak, holding their own personal satchels. zo'ile has the doll clasped tightly in one hand, her other holding mekanei's as her mother had instructed her to.

behind them is tsireya at the back of the group, carrying the satchel full of food and other miscellaneous necessities for their journey.

mekanei looks dolefully back in the direction of their home, catching tsireya's eye. she readjusts the satchel on her shoulder and walks up to match the boy's pace.

"everything okay?" she asks.

"yeah..." the boy mumbles, rubbing his eye.

"missing home already?" his mother watches him sympathetically. zo'ile glances over at the two, wanting to agree with her mother. she, however, wants to appear strong in front of them so she says nothing.

mekanei nods his head, reaching up for his mother's hand.

tsireya gives him a small smile, leaning to the side so she can rub his back. "you will be okay, my love. you have your sister, mama, and daddy here with you," she comforts him.

"yeah, and don't worry, i can protect you!" zo'ile exclaims, taking a small pocketknife out of nowhere and holding it up for mekanei to see.

tsireya's eyes widen in surprise. "zo'ile. where did you get that?"

"from daddy!" she gives her mother a toothy grin while brandishing the small weapon.

tsireya frowns and shakes her head, quickening her pace to catch up to her mate. "lo'ak..."

lo'ak had his eyes focused on the ocean ahead of them, but he turns his head when. tsireya catches up to him. his ears flatten when he sees the look on her face. "yes...?"

"did you give our ten year old daughter a knife?"

lo'ak gulps and rubs the back of his neck. he steals a quick glance back at zo'ile who was still grinning cheekily. "uh...maybe..."

tsireya sighs, staring at him in a concerned manner. "she is too young to have one, you know that."

"it's for her protection, and it used to be neteyam's. i trust her with it, she is a mighty little warrior," lo'ak chuckles, his eyes brightening.

a small smile makes its way onto her lips when tsireya reminisces neteyam. it made her heart warm to know that lo'ak had given the special item to their daughter.

"hey look, we're almost there!" lo'ak points to the shore, speaking mainly to the children.

zo'ile's face lights up at her father's words. she turns to mekanei, clutching her doll tightly. "race you!"