013. the remorse

autumn
7:32am
apartment

• • •

"Ivone you not really helping me."

"I thought you knew how to cook?"

"Yea the simple shit, Ian never made no pancake batter before."

"Autumn, you put everything in the bowl right?"

I nod my head.

"Okay so just mix it."

"Oh," I grab the whisk and mix the batter together as hard as I can.

"Nigga calm down," she laughs.

Ivone was helping me make Riley some pancakes through FaceTime. I wanted to surprise her with breakfast.

I'm tryna get used to this boyfriend-girlfriend-parenting thing.

"You sure these the right ingredients?"

"Yes Autumn now pour a little onto the pan for each pancake."

I do as she says.

"See there you go, now flip them over when the other side is done."

"Mhm Mhm yup," I say as I start cleaning up as the pancakes cook.

"Okay I gotta go, Prince and I are going to the mall. You good though, right?"

"Yea, thank you voni. Tell Prince I said Wassup."

"You're welcome and I will."

We hang up and I continue cooking.

I try to make her plate as neat as possible, then I go into our bedroom. I place her plate on the nightstand, then lean over her & kiss her neck, "Wake up Ry."

She groaned and squished her face as she slowly opened her eyes. I kiss her one more time, then I sit beside her and grab her plate, "Hurry up before your food get cold."

"Food?" She sits up.

"Mhm. I made something for you."

She gasps with a smile on her face, "You made this????"

"Hell yea I told you I could cook girl," I said feeling gassed up.

She kisses my face, "Aww baby thank you!"

"Of course. What we doing today though?"

"I don't know babe I was just thinking we could chill?"

"Fine with me," I rub her belly as I lay on her lap.

She puts her plate down and lays back.

"Luh dude," I say to her tummy, "Hey luh dude. You got a couple more weeks in there Ight? Then I can finally hold you, and see you. I'll actually have a lil mini me."

"No, I'll have a lil mini ME. I'm telling you, I really think it's a girl," Riley says.

"Honestly I don't know. I don't have any assumptions. I'll be happy regardless."

I hear her start to sniffle, "My fault my emotions all crazy," she cries. "I'm just so happy that you're happy about this. I'm so happy that you're here with me. I was putting on a front, but being a single mother was a very scary thought for me."

"You lucky it was me. A lot of niggas wouldn't have even gave you the time of day. I don't know why niggas be acting like that. They just continuing the cycle they were affected by. I could never put my child through that."

"I really do appreciate you for being here. It's still kinda surreal to me how quickly my whole entire life changed."

"I'll always be here baby. And tell me about it." I sit back up and kiss her. "I'm gonna go to the store real quick, you want something?"