Chapter Four

"If Yurika is right, and they do hate the light," Damion suggested. "Then we need to figure out a plan to lure them out of the dark places they hide in."

"He's right. But first, we need to find out why they don't like light and what kinds of light they can't tolerate." That was Sachiko.

"Because they have a physical core on the inside of their ghostly bodies, we can't trap them with light right away. Just in case their core fades, too," Yurika advised the others.

The group of three planned their attacks, came up with strategies and prepared themselves for the biggest event of their lives. This would be the first fight they'd ever had, except much more challenging. Because they didn't know which tactic they would take first, Damion was fully ready to take on anything. He was taping up everyone's hands for hand to hand combat and he made weapons to jab at the shadows' cores.

Sachiko suggested it was best to wait until nightfall, when mostly everyone was in their houses, getting ready for bed or already sleeping. That way, there wouldn't be any large crowds to wonder what was happening or why there were three teenagers fighting weird beings. Yurika and Damion thoroughly agreed, and left Sachiko to her maps and proactive gear.

As Yurika walked through the hallway, Damion bounded after her. He wanted to know if they really were something, or if she was just being nice. However, he also knew it was way too soon to judge that fact. Where is Yurika going? Damion pondered. He was confused up until she practically leapt into his room. Damion froze. He watched Yurika grab one of his sweatshirts and skipped out of Damion's bedroom. She didn't even notice me. I highly doubt it's for one of the things Sachiko is making, he concluded.

When the trio was back in the main room again, it seemed everything was put together and they knew what to do. But that was not the case. The weapons and protective gear were ready, but nothing else was. An actual strategy and plan to rid the shadows was non-existent. What could the shadows do to block their attacks to kill their cores? Could they teleport or release poisonous gas when they did catch them? These questions were frequently being asked, but no answers showed.

Finally, after doing some thinking, Yurika broke the silence and tension that hung around the house.

"Let's just go out there and try everything under the sun. We don't know anything about these shadow monsters, but the battle plan we have at the moment will have to do. It's getting close to nightfall, and we cannot wait any longer."

Sachiko and Damion agreed, unanimously (but silently) doing what they were told.

Later, when all of their accouterments and equipment were collected and placed in each other's arms, Damion double checked the girls to make sure they were fully secured. Yurika and Damion sat down and waited while Sachiko stood and watched until the moon had risen and they were good to go out.

"The moon is up in the sky and the shadows are roaming around the street," Sachiko announced. "It looks like they're looking for something. Let's go, while the shadows are distracted!"

Damion and Yurika followed Sachiko's footsteps until she unlocked the door and told them to go kill a shadow.

"We'll get rid of them faster if we split up instead of teaming up on one of them!" Sachiko tried to persuade the others.

They pursued her instructions to annihilate the dark, frightening souls. Yurika ran to a shadow on her far left, and because Sachiko was fighting one on Damion's right, he sprinted to a soul directly in front of him.

Each one's fighting tactics were uniquely and incredibly different.

Sachiko used her agility to her advantage, and dodged around the shadow, poking her sword at its core.