Chapter 2 - Sudden Night

Time flies when two people are lost in a passionate kiss. When I check the time again, I realize we're running a bit late for the party. We walk down the street, still holding hands and stealing kisses in the night. Everything feels surreal to me, like a scene from a movie, fast-paced and dream-like. Being with Anthony makes me so happy, whether it's just for one night or more. I try not to think about the future; we've already discussed it, even though we've only known each other for a few hours. Neither of us wants to be sad or burdened by what happens after two weeks. Our focus now is on enjoying the moment and creating beautiful memories together.

We arrive at a crowded bar called 'The Basecamp,' where the party is being held. The music is blaring, and it's hard to hear anything. After locating my friend Edward, who spotted us a few hours ago, along with his friends Tom and Daryn, and my roommate Naomi, another exchange student from my hometown who came to Lille with me, we decide to head to another bar where we can dance and actually hear each other speak.

Anthony leads the way to a bar called 'The Fridge,' which is much better. "It's the go-to spot for most locals," he explains as he orders two Red Bull vodkas for us. "Thanks," I say, giving him a kiss on the lips. We engage in a so-called 'French kiss,' displaying our affection in front of everyone in the bar, including my friends. It's common in France, but for people like us, it's still a bit of a cultural shock, even in a bar setting. But I no longer care, because moments ago, Anthony assured me that he doesn't care about what others think.

 I finally hear something familiar in the conversation between Anthony and some French guys standing next to us. "Félicitations!" Suddenly, the guys raise their glasses in a toast to us. I smile awkwardly, unsure of what just happened. "What did you say?" I ask. Anthony's face turns red, and his words falter. "I told them you're my girlfriend, is that okay?" Girlfriend! It's a completely new and foreign concept to me. I've never been in a relationship before, neither in my hometown nor anywhere else. I gaze into Anthony's eyes, searching for any hint of sincerity. "Really?" I inquire cautiously, not wanting to appear too thrilled in case it's all just a joke. "Yes, is that okay with you?" Damn, he's serious. I can see it in his eyes. "Yes, I love it," I reply, my happiness genuine, even though it's all happened so fast. We only met a few hours ago, and now the man holding my waist is introducing me as his girlfriend. It feels crazy yet utterly wonderful. I hold him even tighter, and I can sense that Anthony does the same. The night is magical, and I have no regrets about saying yes to a stranger who could have been a potential danger. Even if he were a killer, he'd be a sweet and caring one.

After leaving the second bar, we decide to head to a club called The Network

After leaving the second bar, we decide to head to a club called The Network. One of our friends, Edward, informed us that there's a big party for international students taking place there tonight. We decide to follow the crowd, though we mostly keep to ourselves. Upon arriving at the club, we find it packed with people, all waiting in line to get inside. The lovebirds can't resist stealing kisses, even after just a few minutes of waiting. Suddenly, I spot some familiar faces behind me – my Polish friends from IÉSEG, Matthew and Lucas. They notice me too, locked in an embrace with Anthony, my date, whom they obviously don't know. It's a bit embarrassing, but I offer them a quick greeting before returning to Anthony's arms. Just a week ago, I was in the arms of another guy, Jacob, who happens to be a friend of Matthew and Lucas. It was just one night at an event organized by the school's international club, and I had hoped it would be a casual fling. However, my date that night seemed to develop a stronger interest in me, so I've been trying to avoid him ever since. Perhaps Jacob's friends will tell him about what they witnessed tonight, and he'll finally leave me alone. As much as that's what I desire, I still feel a twinge of embarrassment. But my focus quickly shifts back to Anthony as he grabs my attention once again.

The club is enormous, much larger than any I've been to in my hometown. We dance, we kiss, we cuddle—existing in a world where it's just the two of us. We find a seat on a sofa, and suddenly Anthony takes out his phone and declares, "I'm going to delete my Tinder account." I open my eyes wide, surprised by his seriousness, and it's evident he's not under the influence of alcohol. "Really? You won't regret it?" I inquire, searching his eyes for any doubt. "I won't regret it. Are you going to do it with me?" he asks. "Yes," I respond without hesitation. There's something about Anthony, even after just a few hours, that sets him apart. I reach for my phone and swiftly delete the Bumble and Tinder apps I had downloaded a week ago when I arrived in France. As I finish, I realize Anthony is still engrossed in the task. "Oh, shit!" I exclaim internally. He wasn't just deleting the apps, but his entire account. Did I make him want to do that? What? Everything feels surreal, as if I'm living in a dream, echoing Anthony's words throughout the night. "Are you real? Or is this just a dream?" I wonder to myself. I'm afraid that when I wake up tomorrow, my life will return to normal.

"It might sound crazy, but..." Anthony begins, a mischievous smile playing on his lips, reminiscent of how we first met. "What?" I laugh, eager to hear what he has to say. "Do you want to come home with me?" It's unexpected, even though everything has progressed naturally and quickly, this is still too fast for me. Anthony notices the change in my expression. "Just to cuddle, I mean," he clarifies. But that's not the point. Yet, I believe he's a gentleman, and if he promises it's just cuddling, he won't overstep any boundaries. "I have class tomorrow morning," I explain, sensing the disappointment in his face. I hate to see that, but I truly can't go home with him tonight. "But," I continue, surprising myself, "I'm free after class tomorrow." He appears less disappointed now. "And if you want, I can stay at your place," I add, noticing the smile forming on his face. "Just cuddling," I reiterate. I'm not a prude, but I'm not ready for sex just yet. It's still too soon for me.

As we walk home together, he makes me feel safe despite it being late at night. His body warmth comforts me as he holds my hand. Even passersby can't help but remark on how adorable we are. "Vous êtes super mignon," a stranger comments. And I know they're right. We are cute together. I can't help but hope that he won't regret it tomorrow.