Chapter 13

༻❀LALE❀༺

LALE

I have English in first period. It's Tuesday, a week has passed since Matteo and I worked on the project together at my house.

I spent the entire week studying, with a particular emphasis on the weekend. And thanks to my special focus, I was able to make progress in both my pronunciation and comprehension.

Matteo and I practiced my French pronunciation over FaceTime. He also helped me prepare for potential questions about Lyon that my teacher might ask. My father was of course present during the call.

He still doesn't know what to think of him, but I know that deeply in his heart he likes him and is even impressed.

I've been feeling really anxious and tense since yesterday, which made it hard to sleep. I'm worried that I might fail today or say something wrong that could hurt my grade.

And also my French teacher, he doesn't like me at all since the first day. I don't even know why he hates me so much, but probably because of my headscarf. I'm worried he might give me a worse grade on purpose. I can't afford to fail this school year.

Ever since we moved to Malibu, I've been determined to do better in school this year. I really don't want to mess it up.

I see Chiara walking into the classroom and smiling at me. "Hey," she greets me as she walks towards her seat next to me.

I greet her back, exchanging eye contact and smiling. "How are you feeling today?" she asks me.

She sits down and turns to face me and looks concerned. "You don't look like you're feeling good. Is everything okay?"

I stutter, fidgeting with my fingers. "Y-yes," I say. "I just have to present a French project today. I'm feeling kind of nervous, that's all."

Chiara nods in understanding. "Oh, I get it. Don't worry, you'll do great," she says, trying to lighten the mood and motivate me.

I smile. "Thank you. I really appreciate it."

She returns the smile and starts taking out her school stuff. She looks into her bag and starts rummaging around.

"What's the matter?" I ask her. "I forgot my book," she says, slapping her hand slightly on her forehead.

"That's fine, I can lend you mine."

She looks relieved and smiles. "Thank you, Lale. Really." She puts her bag on the floor and starts taking out her homework.

Our English teacher is really strict with homework. She lets us fail if we don't have it. Half of the class failed last week because they didn't do their homework, and the teacher was really mad. It's not just homework; she's strict about our school stuff too.