zero

zero

her eyes

" THERES A NEW SLAVE, THORFINN IS HIS NAME I THINK."

A young woman's voice spoke softly, setting down the bowls and utensils. On one side of the table, a man sat, his leg bouncing up and down impatiently as he crossed his arms. Waiting for his food so he could take the perfect food nap. Opposite of him, an older man waited almost equally impatiently as he wished to get back onto the field and farm.

Still going at her own pace, she filled up the bowls one by one, doing her own one very last. It was a simple breakfast, just leftovers from last night. Which there were a significant portion of, so used to cooking for big families despite living here for almost years she still couldn't get used to just cooking for three.

"How'd you find out before me?" The young dark-haired man scoffed, before basically devouring the bowl in front of him.

"Arnhied," She replied with a small shrug, "I went to collect water and saw her. He's supposed to chop down a forest and plant a wheat field. Then freedom."

She did shiny jazz hands as she smiled.

After, the woman grabbed his bowl, refilling it since the man was holding it in the air like a small child wanting seconds.

"Two more years till your free," The old man reminded. Glancing up from his bowl.

With a light smile, she scoffed, "You can't get rid of me that easy." She took her seat at the table, eating her own bowl of soup. As she ate the two men shared a glance.

"What.. are you going to do Astrid, once you've repayed your debt," The younger man asked, a genuine question. She never mentioned any family, slaved or unslaved.

Even though the dark haired male was the one who brought her to this farm in the first place. He had no genuine idea as to what her full past was.

Astrid blinked, shrugging, "Stay here? Snake," She paused, "Theres nothing out there for me. No family, no.. life. It's just war."

With a sigh she moved a piece of hair out of her face, focusing on the food she just bit. "I'll probably marry a farmer, raise cute kids, help out on the farm, and live a pretty calm life. Until then, do what I'm happy with doing. Helping out the old master, some farm chores, and.." Astrid stood up, "Bothering you."

She flicked him in the arm with a little laugh.

Snake rolled his eyes as the old man snickered.

This is what she was happy with, this is the family she was happy with.

" Astrid !"

She stiffened remembering her mothers pleas.

Shaking it off, Astrid sighed.

The families she had prior, didn't matter.

The families she had prior, were intertwined with war and fighting.

War and fighting wasn't what Astrid wished for herself anymore. Sure she hadn't vowed to stop fighting for all time or anything, but if it wasn't life or death, and she had a choice.

Her choice would be peace, her own peace specifically.

Since in this world of fighting, there was always an enemy. Always someone to go after and innocent people that would die due to this. Though in Astrid's world she had only one enemy.