Chapter One

November 13, 2024

The deafening snap of a ruler on my desk wakes me from the nap I was taking in first period history. Mrs. Lewis gives me a disapproving look and sends me to the office for the fourth time this month. If history wasn't so boring, I wouldn't be struggling to keep my eyes open. Mr. Davis, the principal of Wesley High School, isn't buying that but decides to send me to the school nurse to rest instead of calling my mom.

"Will, I can't keep letting you off the hook for sleeping during class. Find a way to stay awake. Life will throw multiple things at you at once, and you're going to have to learn how to deal with them," Mr. Davis explains. 

He looks disappointed, but understanding at the same time. I assume it's because our situations are so similar. My parents are in the middle of a divorce, and he's been down that road before. Mr. Davis is an old family friend, so he's quite familiar with my situation in particular. He and my dad actually went to the same high school. 

"Sorry. I'm really trying, but I'll try harder." 

I turn to walk away, but not before he puts a hand on my shoulder.

Mr. Davis sighs, "Listen, I know you're having a difficult time at home, but some things are worth paying attention to. You just can't let anything go unnoticed." 

He uses his hands to talk, as if he's drawing a big diagram in the middle of the air. He teeter-totters his flat palms in the air and says, "You need to learn how to balance and prioritize what's most important in your life. That includes your family."

His eyes look towards the door and towards me, and I realize he's practically whispering now. "All I'm saying is to pay attention. Don't let anything go unnoticed. Do you understand what I'm saying, son?" He looks at me expectantly, like he's waiting for me to say something absolutely brilliant.

Not knowing what he wants me to say, I utter, "Uh...sure, I'll really try to study harder!" 

I turn to leave his office, but just as I am shutting the door behind me, I hear Mr. Davis let out a disappointed sigh, as if his lecture didn't quite get through to me.

As I walk to the nurse's office, I think of my family. My dad, who I imagine sleeping in again for the umpteenth time this month, can't hold down a job. He's been through three jobs in the past six months, fired each time for showing up late and hung-over. Much like myself, he's tall with an average build, green eyes and dark hair. Our looks are about all we have in common, and I couldn't be more grateful for that.

Although I'm more of a bookworm than a sports fan, I joined the football team this semester so I could use the after school practices as an excuse to come home late. While I'm being honest, I'm technically more of a water boy/team manager than an actual player, but you would think I was the star quarterback by the way my mom screams and cheers from the stands. 

On the bright side though, I've actually made a pretty good friend, Nolan. He's the kind of guy that can switch from crowd to crowd with nobody having a problem with it. He's never met a stranger and makes everyone feel included. I guess that's why we get along so well.

When I arrive at the nurse's office, she points to the small, leather couch for me to lay on and goes back to her computer. I'm no stranger here either. 

After I throw my backpack on the ground and get comfy on the couch, I look up and say, "Hit me!" 

Nurse Cavanaugh smiles, and I catch the Hershey's Kiss that she's thrown in my direction.

Mrs. Cavanaugh is a middle-aged, slender woman with a head of tight, blonde curls. She wears red glasses with the brim sitting on the bridge of her nose. It's well known that she's the go-to person when you're in need of a chocolate fixer-upper. The assortment of candies sit in a glass Mason jar on top of her desk.