Chapter 1 - Life for a Life

How do I begin?... I guess from the beginning. I don't remember anything before the day I, um, appeared. But, according to my Uncle Baldo, thirteen years ago, eight months before I appeared, Maria, my Uncle's wife of five years entered their shared room and held the results of her pregnancy test for Baldo to see. A proud goofy grin filled her face stretching from ear to ear. Maria was pregnant! Maria and Uncle Baldo had been trying to have a child for over 4 years. And now, the spoils of their hard work, but much enjoyed work as he explains it, had paid off in the form of a child of their own!

But, this isn't a fairy-tale...

Four months later, while in for a scheduled checkup for Maria's ultrasound, Maria's doctor found something else...

Five second opinions later, Maria was diagnosed with ovarian cancer... Maria refused any treatment the would endanger her child. She decided to risk her life and start the Chemotherapy after her and Uncle Baldo's baby, a girl, was born.

Four months after that, Uncle Baldo came home to find the love of his life had collapsed on the floor! He rushed to her side and took her into his arms. Maria opened her eyes for a moment, she was weak, she whispered, "Take me to the hospital,.. we have to do it now..." then she slipped a way.

Terrified, Baldo loaded Maria into his car and floored it!

Maria, unconscious and slumped in her seat, showed no sign of life. "Stay with me mama! This isn't how it ends!" Uncle Baldo ordered her.

Uncle Baldo touched her belly and the their baby moved under his fingers inside Maria's lifeless body. Uncle Baldo, tears welling, fears in overdrive, screams to the heavens! "This is not how it ends!! I won't let you take them from me!"

Uncle Baldo sped onto the highway and weaved in and out of traffic! Angry horns screamed as he passed unaware drivers.

Finally! The hospital was in sight! It was just after the traffic light ahead. The light turned yellow and Uncle Baldo pushed down on the gas pedal hard! The engine of his little economy car peaked and there was a near miss with another car as he flew through the intersection! The other car slammed on its brakes and skidded to a stop just under the now red traffic signal.

Through the light, Uncle Baldo tried to pull into the hospital, but there was a line of cars already waiting and blocking the entrance of the emergency room. He had no time to waste and pulled the emergency brake. He opened his door and screamed! "PLEASE HELP US!! I NEED HELP!!"

That's when he heard it. The sound of locked up tires barking across the pavement. A jeepney driver had swerved to keep from hitting the other car Uncle Baldo left in the intersection and was forced to turned into oncoming traffic. The driver of the jeepney had no time to correct as his ancient, overweight, vehicle that was aimed to demolished Baldo's import! Uncle Baldo wrapped himself around Maria and child just as a jeepney slammed into their car!

Everything went white.

*******To be continued!*******

I am very excited to get deeper into this story. The exciting twists and turns that could happen! If you like our story please like and share! And if you have any questions or comments or just want to see more of a certain character, please let me know! Thank you! More to come! :)