"These little games that we play"

- How... is he?

She asked towards Ominis while they walked out of the Great Hall together, after finishing their Arithmancy test. The professors had removed all the houses tables from the inside and that day they were individual desks for everyone to take their exam on.

The hallways were bustling with students coming in and out of the Great Hall, talking, laughing, and even crying about the next test.

- Well, I wished him good morning today and he responded with a grunt. - Ominis mumbled, shaking his head. - I'd say that's progress. - He made a pause and his voice acquired a more dejected tone. - He has gone out until very late for the last few days.

- Where?

- If I had to guess, The Three Broomsticks. The smell of alcohol was devastating.

Everleigh felt a pang of guilt settling on her stomach.

They approached one of the walls of the corridor, trying to avoid the big crowd in the middle, and she leaned against the rocky surface, resting her head on it.

- I'm going to try to talk to him today.

- I don't know... - Ominis was already by her side, crossing his arms over his chest. - I think it's best if we give him a few more days.

She didn't have a few more days. Everleigh was leaving on Thursday, three days from then. And she at least wanted to make sure he had every piece of information he needed to understand everything that was going on.

- Perhaps, when you come home to London with us, he'll be more amenable. - Ominis continued, taking her silence for pondering. - Christmas is one of his favorite holidays. I doubt he would want to skip it.

The regret twisted her stomach into a knot, knowing that she had no intention of spending Christmas with them. She didn't on her future and she wasn't going to now, either. Everleigh sometimes wondered how things would be if she actually went to London with Ominis and the Sallow twins. Sleeping next to Sebastian every night. Waking up to him. Opening presents and having dinner, all of them together. Like a little family.
Helping with the cooking, even though she was terrible at it.
Putting up decorations, and kissing under the mistletoe.

She wondered. Oh, she wondered...

What would happen if she postponed the trials and tried to make amends with him while they were there?

Just then, in the crowd of students, Everleigh saw Sebastian. His tall figure stood up amongst the rest of them. He looked pale, and tired, and not even his reading glasses could hide the dark circles underneath his eyes.

His head turned a second later, and they gazed at each other. Her heart wanted to leap out of her chest.

Sebastian Sallow had mastered the art of the blank stare, but even then, she could still catch traces of sorrow hidden on his features. His jaw locked and the muscles on his arms seemed to tense.