Time of the Titans

Somewhere on the edge of this Jurassic forest, a mother dinosaur is laying her eggs

Somewhere on the edge of this Jurassic forest, a mother dinosaur is laying her eggs. The massive long necked dinosaur shakes her head and calls out through the forest. She's a 25 tonne Diplodocus. Each football sized object is gently placed in a deep trench. She lays about 28 eggs in the trench, and covers them with a soft blanket of soil.

After covering them with soil, she abandons them to their fate. Out on the fern prairies, the rest of her gigantic herd browses. She's part of a giant group called the sauropods, related to the prosauropods of the early Jurassic. This group dominates this period in Earth's history. They are some of the largest animals to ever walk the land.

The herd marches on through the plains, walking by smaller dinosaurs. An early troodontid called Koparion narrowly avoids being stepped on by dodging the feet of the Diplodocus. One Diplodocus walks under some Redwood trees. A pair of Camptosaurus watches the herd go by as they graze on ferns.

152 MYA, Jurassic Period, Utah

Welcome to the Late Jurassic. By this time, the giant continent of Pangaea that used to stretch from pole to pole is now breaking up. There are now two big landmasses in its place. One down south called Gondwana is made up of South America, Africa, and Antarctica. This is the giant landmass of Laurasia and will one day become Utah. 

It is much wetter in this time and covered in vast conifer forests. The planet has recovered well since the Permian extinction some 100 million years ago. It is some 78 million years since dinosaurs first appeared on Earth. In this green world, there is a myriad of different forms. A Camptosaurus runs through the forest. 

This is an ornithopod dinosaur. They would start out as small bipedal plant eating dinosaurs. In time, they will gain new forms and start walking on four legs in addition to two. They typically graze in the fern prairies under the protection of larger dinosaurs. In this world, there are plenty of predators that will hunt down these plant eaters, if they can catch them.

Camptosaurus doesn't just rely on the protection of bigger dinosaurs to survive, but they can also run considerably fast. 3 months ago, a mother Diplodocus laid about 28 eggs in this clearing on the edge of the forest. It is time for them to hatch, but there are signs that some of them have been discovered by an egg thief. The culprit is a carnivorous Stokesosaurus. He's an early relative to the most powerful carnivore yet to come.