Lessons

~~~

~~~

Rotxo gently pushed my leg down as he adjusted my position on the Ilu below me. The aquatic creature stood still as I avoided hitting any of its flippers.

"Is the bond eternal?" I asked Rotxo while petting the side of the creature.

"No, they can form a bond with many riders in their lifetime." he explains, still holding the animal.

As Rotxo spoke, I looked over at Neteyam and Ao'nung, who laughed alongside each other at something Ao'nung said.

I ting of sadness ran down my body as I let my attention find Rotxo once more.

"Will it try to kill me?" I question, thinking back to when I bonded with Tsawke.

Rotxo let out a laugh but shook his head, "The only thing you should worry about is holding on," he explained.

I nodded as I grabbed my queue, ready to make the bond. Rotxo grabbed the Ilu's and brought it up to me.

As I felt the bond be made I was able to feel everything the Ilu felt. I paid attention to how it inhaled and exhaled and how it grew impatient with being still.

I took a deep breath as I thought back to what Ao'nung taught me. I felt the water around the Ilu and me as it coursed around us. My heart began to relax and Ilu began to calm down as well.

I smiled as I finally felt connected and in control of the creature below me. I took one more deep breath before telling it to move forward.

Water rushed around me as I fought to hang on with all of my strength. I struggled to collect my thoughts as I demanded the Ilu to slow down.

He immediately slowed, allowing me to look at the underwater world below me. I let out a laugh as I patted the creature below me was admiration. He let out a few clicking sounds in response as I ordered him to turn right. He compiled as we swam around a large body of coral with small fish weaving through it.

"Up," I commanded, and the Ilu complied. I felt as he swam with force to the surface, breaking through and soaring through the air as we spun around once. I let out a small battle cry as we spun in the air and landed back in the water effortlessly.

"No need to show off," Lo'ak yelled from shore making my smile grow bigger.

As I returned to the group of people Rotxo immediately patted me on the back proudly.

"You made that look easy," he stated as I dismounted the animal.

"I had a good teacher," I complimented resting my hand on Rotxo's shoulder, causing him to involuntarily blush. I heard a rustle in the water as something shifted toward our right, catching my attention.

I met the eyes of an unimpressed Ao'nung, as he stood with Neteyam next to him. "Her form was sloppy," he informed Rotxo, making the boy's ears turn down.