S3 - Chapter Six: E Pluribus Unum

The five of them walk back down the steps, Robin asking in worry, "I don't understand. You've seen this before?"

"Not exactly," Steve confirms at the back.

"Then what, exactly?"

"All you need to know is it's bad," Dustin says.

"It's really bad," Steve exaggerates.

"Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad."

"For once Robs, that's not an exaggeration," Lily panics.

"And you know about this how?" Robin questions.

"Um, Steve?" Erica pipes up, "Where's your Russian friend?"

All that's left on the floor is a splotch of blood, before the alarms start blaring around them.

"Shit," Steve mumbles, rushing over to open the door, but the guards quickly notice them all.

"Go, go, go, go, go!" Steve yells as they all sprint back up the stairs, opening and closing two doors before they come face to face with a comms room full of Russians.

They all dart to the left, running down another few steps and along a platform before coming to a dead end, the strong electric field pulsing in front of them.

"Holy shit! Holy shit! Holy shit!" Dustin screams.

"Dustin, shut the hell up!" Lily hollers back at him, his chaotic energy not helping the situation at all and making everyone's panic levels rise exponentially.

Steve looks to the right to find steps that lead down to the bottom level and away from the massive machine. "This way!"

They all run as fast as they can, Steve pushing a stacked pile of barrels to block the Russian guard's way as they sprint towards one of the doors.

All entering behind it, Steve slams it shut, but the Russians attempt to push it open. Noticing Steve is not strong enough by himself, Robin races back to hold the door shut with all her strength.

Erica opens the latch to a vent, climbing down as she shouts "Come on!" to the group. Dustin follows down after her as Lily pauses for a moment, looking back at Steve and Robin.

"Come on, guys! Let's go!"

"Just go, we'll be fine."

Lily looks behind him to see at least five Russian guards ready to attack them from the other side of the door.

"Baby, no. I'm not leaving here without you. Just run!" she yells, directing with her arm for the two teens to join her.

"Please, just go, okay? I need you to be safe."

She sighs, "And that's why I need you two to come with us, Steve!"

"Baby," he says a bit more sternly, staring right at his girlfriend in the eyes, "Go."

Her eyes flick between Steve and the Russians, knowing that either way, the two of them holding the door back will get caught one way or the other.

She shakes her head and mouths "I love you," before sliding down and closing the latch behind her.

She prays that he is okay.