Chapter 2 - An Evil Dinner Party

EEEEEEEEERRR! Went the old mahogany doors as he opened them. Stepping inside, he whistled quietly and started to hum a tune. Catching a hint of something different than what was usually for dinner, he drifted towards the dining room. Moments afterwards, the orphanage's head mistress, Gretel Liechtenstein, upon seeing Yngritor, seized him by the collar of his worn out vermillion shirt and rushed him into the dining room. When he entered, he was hoping for a warm reception, however, how the other kids perceived him was quite contrary to what he was expecting. Since he was Gretel's favorite and they knew it, for the only thing they held in their hearts towards Yngritor was disdain. The reason he was Gretel's favorite was because ge always did what he was told and never argued and was kind to everyone. And Gretel, being a tender old lady, gave him a little more food than dhe gave the others. She worked indefatigably to land him into the perfect home with loving parents who knew no evil and were perspicacious and scrupulous. Yngritor, she hoped, would live a long and happy life. However, she knew that this could never happen as long as Il Loch Gneiss Mare was queen. Yngritor, smiling brightly, calmly made his way to the great cedar table and deeply inhaled the enticing aroma. Seating himself adjacent to where Gretel sat, he patiently waited for her to bring out the food. Gretel, walking out of the kitchen, brought out the usual food except, this tine however, she had with her some glazed duck and roasted ham and strawberries. 'Children, I have great news, we have been rationed duck and ham and strawberries', said Gretel. All of the kids, except for Yngritor, stared greediky at the new rationing, their eyes growing wider by the minute, their ravenous mouths watering, their stomachs roaring like a dragon, and their hearts pounding. Gretel, noticing how the children were staring at the food with the eyes of someone set to kill, calmly told them to be patient and thankful, considering they were one of the more fortunate orphanages. The kids, although they didn't care foe what Gretel had said, pretended to repent their greed, nodded in acknowledgement of what Gretel had said, attempted to suppress their insatiable appetites. 'I have done something that could bring our ancient dilapidated orphanage onto stabld ground', said Yngritor in a way that was matter of fact, yet aroused Gretel's curiosity in a way she hadn't felt in years. 'It's probably a boring job that grandiloquent bastards like you want because you're too stupid for a real job', said one of the boys across from Yngritor in an exasperated tone. 'RUFLAUS!, how dare you use such foul and degrading language in my orphanage, put down your food and go to your bed this instant. I'll deal with you after supper. Yngritor, I'm sorry if Ruflaus hurt your feelings, and even if the other kids don't occupy the same state of mind as I do, I for one would love to hear what news you have said', said Gretel in a tone of voice that was stern, then fair. 'It is alright Gretel. I am used to his harsh and unruly language', said Yngritor. As they spoke, Ruflaus, doing what Gretel had told hin to do, dragged his feet slowly across the floor , and when he got to the sleeping quarters, opened the large copper engraved birch door, and shut it loudly. Walking to his bed, he jumped on it so his face was on the pillow, and started to cry hot, bitter, angry tears. 'It's not fair, Yngritor always gets all of Gretel's love and affection, I'm just as good as he is. If I can't get loved like he can then maybe I should just end my torment forever! No, we are stronger than this, we'll see who is better', said Ruflaus as something strange filled the empty void that was his shriveled black hollow void of a heart. While Ruflaus's 'revelation' was happening, Gretel decided it would be best if Yngritor told he the important news he had meant to tell her earlier, after dinner. After everyone finished their supper, one of the town guards came in. 'Gretel Liechtenstein, the queen requests of your presence in Froschimicthilalu', said the guard in a ruff voice that indicated neither gender. Gretel, realizing that her cover was blown, nodded in submission and told Zkold thay she was in charge and to keep an eye on Ruflaus and make sure Yngritor wrote down what good news he had to say. And with that, she left with the guard, little did she know however, that the 'court' had come to her and that all the court was was hired assassins and a priest. Both, having been told to wait near the hollowed out log near The Great Timber, with rope, a knife, a chloroform soaked rag, and The Last Rites.