A New Life

Hello! My name is ScaleWiz, and I welcome you to Neko Shelter! ^^

If at the beginning you don't understand stuff, read the description. It should clear stuff up.

I don't really have much else to say...Oh wait! Once I figure out how to attach a picture to the chapters, I'll be drawing the characters and putting them on here so you guys can see what they look like. I don't know how, though, so please instruct me, someone >___<

The main character is a male neko named Kris, who has short blue hair and orange ears tipped with brown. His tail is orange with a brown tip, and he has glasses. As for his personality...well, you'll get to know him. :)

Anyway, story start! -^^-

----------------------------------------------

Kris's POV

I dashed along streets and alleyways, rounding corners, trying to evade my pursuers.

That morning, a pair of men had knocked on my door and tried to catch me in a cage.

I was one of the ones...affected.

Three days ago, many people around the world woke up with cat ears and tails. The confusion caused lawlessness, and no efforts were being made to try and preserve order.

Though the chaos, human trafficking had spiked, and "nekos", as we had been named, were in high demand as sex slaves.

It was really a terrible situation.

Panting heavily, I turned to the right, going into another shaded alley. I knew I couldn't run much longer. The world was blurry with my glasses askew, and my pursuers' footsteps echoed behind me. Their cage rattled ominously. My heart seemed to skip a beat in fear.

So I ran, and ran, and ran.

And tripped.

Someone had left a pile of rope in the middle of the alley, and running blindly, I hadn't seen it.

When I looked up again, my soon-to-be captors' faces were smirking back at me. I closed my eyes in despair...

...and no cage came crashing down.

Opening my eyes again, I saw one of the thugs sprawling on the ground, while the other had bolted. I looked up.

Staring down at me was a friendly face I instantly knew I could trust.

It was a man in his twenties, with glossy black hair and a patch over his left eye. His right one was a glowing yellow. Jet-black ears pointed up from his head, and his tail flicked around him easily. He smiled, showing pointy, immaculate white teeth.

I noticed his warm brown hand extended towards mine, and I grabbed it. He helped me up.

For some reason, I felt no fear towards this man. He seemed perfectly calm and collected.

The man trying to capture me was starting to get up, wiping his mouth. He had been punched in the jaw, assuredly by my unexpected savior.

For a second, he stood to fight, but as the dark-haired man stepped forward, he faltered and ran to follow his companion.

My savior turned to me. "They're all gone now," he said. "You're safe." His voice was deep, warm and thick, almost inviting, like a campfire. It seemed like something you could get lost in...He continued. "But if you want to stay safe, follow me...There's a place you can stay."

I nodded and ran to follow him. He was already walking away.

Along beside him at a steady pace, my orange tail twitched nervously. I was rethinking things. I had trusted him very quickly, even though he did save me, and I didn't know where he was taking me.

"...Um..." I started. His ear swiveled to face me, so I knew he was listening, even if he didn't turn to look at me. "My name is Kris...Thank you for saving me." He nodded silently. "Um, why did you let them get away?" I asked quietly.

He exhaled slowly. "Because they're human beings, like the rest of us. They're breathing, living, thinking. They don't deserve to be hunted down like animals. Nobody does. It's just good that you're safe."

His expression had turned grim. We trudged on in silence, the street oddly silent.

Suddenly, he reached out and slid a lock of my blue hair between his fingers. I flinched lightly, blushing a little. His hands were warm as they brushed against my cheek.

"I'll protect you," he said, not looking at me, still walking, eyes trained on the pavement. "I'll protect them all." He let his hand fall. Something unreadable flashed across his one slightly visible yellow eye. I stared for a minute, then looked forward again.

Finally, a small, nutmeg-brown building came into view. The small sign hanging on the door read simply "Neko Shelter" in curly black script. I wrinkled my brow slightly in confusion.

As if to answer my unspoken question, he said, "That's the place." We reached it, and he placed one hand on the doorknob.

"By the way...My name's Fade."

And he opened the door into my new life and new friends...

...as a neko.

----------------------------------------------

So there's my shot at a first chapter.

Questions? Suggestions? Flaming pitchforks? Put them in the comments, please--I love hearing from my readers!

This is an original story, by the way. No anime/game characters will be put in. Sorry, guys. I'm only going to put in characters that I create and characters that people ask for.

Don't forget to message me or comment if you want to be part of the story! I'll always want more nekos ^^

So, thanks for reading, and see you in the next chapter!

Bye-nee! :3