Ch. 1 - Making The Decision

It all happened so quickly.

He cut its head. He thought he cut its head, but the demon kept running.

The sun peaked over the mountain tops, and by the time Tanjiro realized the smell of daylight quickly approaching it was all too late. 

"MMMMF!!" 

Nezuko's arms covered her body as burns flourished across her skin.

"Nezuko!" Tanjiro quickly leapt in front of her, blocking her from the sun with his body as best as he could. The smell of burning flesh was sickening.

"Nezuko! Shrink, please!" 

He looked back and forth between the demon chasing the swordsmiths and his little sister. Despite shrinking, the sun was still burning through her core.

Tanjiro's breathing came out ragged and panicked.

'What should I.. how do I.. the swordsmiths.. but Nezuko! The demon will...'

He held Nezuko closer to his body, her pained muffled grunting regressing in age underneath him.

'Nezuko..! Nezuko!'

Suddenly, a firm kick on his chest sent him flying.

"NEZUKO!" The scream tore from Tanjiro's mouth. With horror, he looked at his little sister as she continued to burn alive from the sun.

Shakily, her small arm raised to make a fist. 

'Go, big brother! Fight!'

He couldn't breathe. He didn't have time to think. Blinking away the tears in his eyes, Tanjiro spun forward with all the determination he could muster.

His sword glistened in the brightness of the sun. 

'I see it!' Tanjiro saw the path to cut off the demon's head. He saw how to finally defeat Upper Moon 4.

With moves as bold and aggressive as fire, his sword slashed through the larger demon's body, revealing the main body.

"HAAAAAAA!"

Another swipe, and the second head was finally separated. 

"Keuck!" The small head and body of Upper Moon 4 quickly disappeared in the brightness of day. 

Tanjiro landed where the body once stood. He instantly collapsed.

"...Nezuko!"

He began to sob. His shoulders trembled with the weight of many worlds. They trembled with the weight of his world that just crumbled.

The smell of burning flesh made him gag. He resisted the urge to puke.

"Ne..zuko.. Nez..ko.. N..uko.." He repeated her name like a broken tape player. The swordsmiths beside him could only watch with shock as their savior sobbed uncontrollably.

They had all heard of the Kamado siblings' unbelievable situation by now. There was much gossip about them in the swordsmith village-- a demon that didn't eat humans and fought other demons.

On top of all that, they heard of the boy who brought this demon with him as his only remaining family.

They knew, but to see it in person was something else.

Tears dripped from under their masks.

This was something different than they had imaged. 

Tanjiro wept brokenly on his hands and knees, unable to breath properly. He couldn't even say her name.