Act 1: Scene 2

INT

INT. BIRD ROOM - DAY

The birds are in the bird room, where four cages sit on one side of the room. The largest cage is shaped like a horizontal rectangle, the second cage is square-shaped with a rounded top, the third cage is a taller rectangle with a playstand consisting of a ladder and two bowls with water and food, and the fourth cage is Angie's cage, which is shaped like a long house. Yellow light slowly shines onto the stage to signal a new day.

MIKA

(hangs upside down from the side of the cage)

You should try to find what makes you special in our flock! Everyone here is different! I can hang upside down!

ANGIE

I can try!

Angie flies onto wooden picture frames on another wall.

MIKA

Yes, that's it! Now, turn around and use your feet strength to keep you on the picture frame, lean downward towards us, and use your wings to help.

Angie attempts to follow MIKA's instructions but falls.

ANGIE

I-I can't! My wings are too weak!

PEAR

Yeah, Mika! Be more considerate of her past next time.

MIKA

I'm sorry, I just wanted to give her an idea of how to find her special ability in our flock.

PEAR

How about you try singing, uh, budgie style?

Pear sings "Happy Birthday" by whistling. Bluey bites Pear off to the side next to Mika.

BLUEY

Or try talking! Have you ever heard your previous owners talk a lot near you or to you? Do they repeat any phrases or words a lot? Maybe learn your name?

ANGIE

Um...I had a different name.

BLUEY

What?! What was your old name then?

ANGIE

I-I forgot.

PEAR

How can you forget your own name? Bluey even taught me how to say my name in a cute way: Bear Bear!

MIKA

Pear, I think you should stop making her feel bad. She had a different past than us.

ANGIE

It's okay, don't worry about it. I forgot my own name because I chose to. I wanted a fresh start at a new house with more fluffy buddies, but having my old name here haunts me.