Chapter 2

Ever since Penny 'rescued' Colt she has been plagued by nightmares. Last night, she dreamt that she was running. Her heart beat faster, terrified. Penny tripped and looked over her shoulder. Colt stalked towards her, a maniacal smile on his face. He was holding an ax.

"Zayne please! You're meant to love me! Forever! Remember?!" Penny yelled.

"My name is Colt! And you were just a pawn in my chess game." He raised the ax high above his head and swung.

Penny woke up screaming and sat up. Her sheets were twisted around her legs and a bead of sweat was on her forehead. Tears streamed down her face and Penny wiped them off. Penny detangled herself from her sheets and got out of bed. She walked to her dresser, opened it and took a photo of her and Zayne.

On this photo they were at a fair. Penny was holding fairy floss and Zayne was holding an ice cream. Penny was hugging him and they were both laughing at some joke. A tear splashed onto the photo.

"Oh Colt." She sits down on her office chair. "How do I get over you?"

The photo didn't answer her. Penny cried for a love that was one sided. The door opened to her bedroom and Penny quickly wiped her tears away and hid the photo. Elise walked in and sat on the floor next to Penny.

"I heard you screaming. Another nightmare?" She said and looked at the fabric she was holding.

"Yeah." Penny looked back at the draw, where she hid the photo.

"I can help distract you."

Penny smiled. "You want to know about your father don't you?"

"Well yeah. Whoever hurt mummy must've been a mean man but I want to know about him. I mean, he is still technically my father." Elise grabbed a pair of scissors then paused and looked at the fabric again.

"Start by planning." Penny suggested.

"Okay." She takes a pencil out from behind her ear and drew a pattern for a shirt. "So, what does his name begin with?"

"V." Penny answered and grabbed her mini cauldron.

"How old is he?"

Penny paused, thinking. "Father is 1000 years old. So... 150."

"That's old."

"Vampires can live forever." Penny put an ingredient in the cauldron.

"Good point. Next question. Why does my vampire side not come out but yours does?"

Penny shrugged. "Probably because you're half angel and got Goddess blood in you."

"Hm." Elise hummed and cut the fabric. "Do you think mummy's boyfriend will hate me?"

"He doesn't like me much so what will stop him from hating you?" Penny murmured and stirred the ingredients.

"Will he hate mummy for getting hurt and giving birth to me."

"I'm like... Ninety percent certain that if he blamed mum for getting hurt then his own mother would beat the hell out of him. Probably with shoes."

"Isn't that abuse?" Elise looked at Penny.

Penny paused and looked up. She frowned. "Uhh... I don't know." She looked at Elise. "Why these questions about mum's boyfriend?"

"My teacher told me that nobody will date someone who's been raped. Whatever that word means."

"Look, if you're worried that he'll break up with mum that's his choice. And if he steals mum off you and you turn crazy and steal Aiden then that's too bad."

"Okay." Silence fell for a bit. "Penny?"

"Hm?" A small cloud puffed up from the cauldron.

"What does my empire, my kingdoms and my duchy look like?"

Penny chuckled. "Well... Your duchy will have green green grass. It never rains here except for a little bit and it looks like it came straight from a fairytale."

"Like Aunt Echo's duchy?"

"Uh-Huh." Penny hummed and spat in the cauldron.

"Oohh. I'm gonna have a pretty duchy! And my empire?"

"Everyone wears black and white and it's kinda dull but kinda pretty at the same time. The houses will all be brown or white and will be crowded next to each other." Penny stirred the contents then ladled her potion into a few vials. "And your castle will be made of black stone. It will be the tallest building in your empire."

"Sounds boring." Elise pouted and Penny laughed. "You laughed! You haven't laughed in a month! Ha!"

Penny gave Elise a smile then turned back to her cauldron, wondering how she was gonna clean her mess. She decided to deal with it in the morning and turned her chair to face Elise. Elise had made a purple shirt with long sleeves and a v shaped neckline. Penny smiled softly, proud of her sister's handiwork.

"And my kingdoms?"

"Okay. So one is broken. Their previous king was a bit of a dick and controlled his kingdom in a way that suited him. So the people murdered him while he slept." Penny spun around on her chair. "And the other is always snowing. It's cold but beautiful."

"Oohh." Elise yawned and Penny gestured to her bed.

"Sleep sis. You've gotta go to daycare."

"Okay! Night sis." Elise left the room and Penny sighed.

She turned back to her vials and drank one of the potions. Then walked to her bed and fell back to sleep.