Chapter 12

Raf was a terrible roommate.

"For the love of the Mother, if you don't stop snoring, I will suffocate you!" she groaned, waking up again because he was being too noisy. "Raf, shut up!"

"I can't help that I snore!" he said, annoyed. Look, I swear, it's just for tonight. Next time, they gotta do it in Josie's room."

"This is why you should request your own room."

"Lan is going to be upset if I ask for that."

"You can say you need it so those guys can have privacy! It's not fair to have to be kicked out by your roommate."

"Like you've ever had that experience."

"Um, arguably worse than that considering my own parents would tell me to go for a nice long walk when they wanted to do it."

"That put a horrible image in my mind. I'm sorry I asked."

She got out of her bed, purposely stepping on his legs. "Screw it, I'm going to get a midnight snack."

Though Vardemus had implemented a curfew, she wasn't about to listen when she was hungry. Several of the students were passed out all over the couches of the living room and library, some groaning and holding their heads, others just tired. She slipped into the kitchen to make herself a sandwich, startled when the door opened behind her. Thankfully, it was just Jed.

"Rhysaenya, hi," he said, smiling at her. "Didn't think you'd be awake."

"Yeah, well, Raf snores loudly. Roommate kickouts."

He smirked. "I know that feeling. Um... I actually did want to talk about something. I don't want to pry into your business, but I heard something about you being... attracted to all types of people?"

"Yes, I am. Recently, I learned it's called being 'pansexual.' I like men, women, those who identify as neither. Everyone, really. Why do you ask? Are you not... comfortable with that?"

"It's not that, I swear. I uh... I don't have anyone else to talk to about this kind of stuff."

Her expression softened. "Oh, Jed, are you–?"

"I'm not pan, but I am... bi. Today's the preparation for Commonwealth Day, and we're signed up to volunteer in the town square with the Mystic Falls High kids. I saw the schedule last night and I saw that I am working to set up the gazebo with... someone that I noticed at the football game."

"Oh? Someone you think is cute?"

"Yeah. I kind of noticed him when I moved back in and saw him at the Mystic Grill, and I haven't wanted to think about it, but I guess now I'm wondering... what may happen. I mean, I'm going to have to talk to him. And I'm not one to really shy away from what I feel. I don't want to pretend there's nothing going on but I also don't know if speaking up is the right choice. Particularly when he does not like our school right now."

"Are you talking about Ethan?!"

"Maybe. But I don't want to tell anybody else even though it would be super sweet for a vampire to ask him if he's straight or not so at least I know if I have a chance. I want to do this the right way. Starting with... ending this mutually satisfying hook up."

"Of course, whatever you need. If you want, I can talk to his sister, Maya. Maybe I can find something out from her to at least point you in the right direction. Just... talk to him normally, get to know him, maybe exchange phone numbers, or something. Hope healed him fully. He won't know it yet but... I'm sure he doesn't harbor as much ill will for the school as you think. Aw, Jed..." she smiled, taking his hands. "You can talk to me about this whenever you need. That's what friends are for."