Chapter 36: Jayon

It was my fault. I should have saved Lyla. If only I had kept an eye on her, then she'd be safe. I was terrified to think what was going to happen to her now. I buried my head in my hands, and thought about the beautiful girl. Before Lyla, I had dated a few other girls, but none of them made me feel the way Lyla did.

"It's not your fault." Annabel entered the room, her eyes red from crying.

"I made a promise, to keep her safe!" I hissed, and dug my hands into my short hair.

"Jayon, Lyla doesn't blame you." The girl touched my back gently and sat beside me in the dorm.

"You're probably right, but I need to save her. Annabel, we can't lose her." I said, my voice dying out into a whisper,

"North sent out a lot of troops, and five helicopters. Not to mention, Lyla is a tough girl. She'll find a way." Annabel reassured me, and I nodded.

"But, what do we do in the meantime?"

"We wait."

"I can't wait!" I growled, and Annabel sighed,

"You have to." She said, and rose to her feet,

"Where are you going?" I asked,

"To the park." The girl left the room, and shut the door behind her. I knew I shouldn't stay here all day, but I was terrified for Lyla. What were the scientists going to do to her? I rubbed my face, and finally got to my feet, heading for the door. I pulled it open, and walked down the hallway, my mind never straying from thinking about Lyla.

"Hey Jayon, do you want to play basketball with us?" Flame came rushing over,

"No thanks. I'll watch though." I shrugged, and followed my friend into a basketball gym. I sat down on one of the benches, and watched North separate everyone into different teams. North, Blaze and Raiden were on one team while Flame and Clair were on the other. As I watched the five run around the court, passing to each other and occasionally scoring goals, I found myself smiling. It brought back memories from only two months ago now.

"Woo! Good game!" I remembered the time when we had won a game against a strong team. My team high fived each other, and we grinned in pride. "That was awesome!" Lucian laughed, and Alexander playfully ruffled his hair. The blue haired guy glared. Since Lucian was the shortest of the team, everyone liked to tease him. Of course, he hated it.

A chuckle escaped my lips, and when I looked back up at the game going on, I realized Flame's team was losing. My feet instantly pushed me off the bench, and I rushed toward Raiden, easily stealing the ball from him. The guy shouted at me, and I grinned, sprinting toward the net. I lifted off the ground, and dunked the ball straight into the hoop. Looking behind me, everyone's had their jaws open in shock.

"So he really is a basketball player." Blaze said, and I laughed,

"You bet I am.". North advanced to steal the ball, but I swerved around him, still dribbling. I stopped and held up the ball, passing it toward Clair. The purple haired girl dribbled toward Flame, and stopped, passing it to him. Flame then went to the net, and threw it into the net.

"Yeah team!" I grinned, and watched as Blaze retrieved the ball, and passed to North. Clair tried to block the pass with no luck, and North dribbled toward our net. I leaped in front of him, and blocked his toss into the hoop. The green haired guy groaned in defeat, and I grabbed the ball, passing it to Flame. The orange haired guy dodged North's attack, but Raiden cut in at the last second, and stole the ball, grinning as he dribbled back to our net. Clair ran in front of Raiden, but the black haired guy was able to score in the net.

"Good try!" I encouraged Clair, who smiled, and shrugged.

"Next round!" Flame went to the middle, and everyone walked to their checkmates. I strolled in front of my checkmate, who was Raiden, and we grinned at eachother. Just as the ball landed on the ground, a General entered the room.

"Jayon, can I speak with you?" The man asked, and I nodded. We walked out of the gym, and I looked at the General, hoping and praying he would tell me that Lyla was fine, and that they were able to rescue her.

"I sent many of my troops out to find Lyla. I'm so sorry, but we weren't able to find any trace of her, or the scientists." The General explained to me, and I felt my world crash.

"No, no..." I jogged down the hallway, putting on a gas mask before going out into the open air. I sprinted to the railing of the deck I was on, and I started out at the radiated air, finally letting the tears run down my face.

"Lyla, I wish I could tell you I love you." I said, and buried my face in my hands. "I've never felt the same about any another girl.".

I went straight to the fighting arena minutes later, and I picked up my shotgun, aiming it at the targets. A growl escaped my lips as I shot at each of the mannequins in front of me, shooting multiple holes in them. After shooting them, I went over to the wall, and pressed my head against it. "Please be safe." I whispered, clenching my jaw. Then, I slammed my fist into the wall, breathing heavily as my fist ached. I didn't care though, and I punched it again, realizing there was no dent in the wall. I heaved, but punched it again and again.