2

"So. lets go over the plan one last time. First, we go to Ocora square where the trial will be held, we stop the trial by using wards, making us invisible and we grab Kairi." It was a difficult few days, specially since they made the trial be on the last day of harvest. Terrice noticed this and walked up to him while I was working. "You okay Masera?" In terms of work, the bosses only called you by your last name and not their first. I gave a small nod and continued working, paranoia crawling on my skin like parasites. Me and my friends walked down to the square, making sure to wait until it was the right time to summon the wards.

I stared into space for awhile. I started to recall what their mentor Akra once said to them. "Mana is limited in the real world also known as Gaia. Gaia and the Spirit Realm were once one, but were separated. Mana comes from our own body, and can be easily taken away if used selfishly." Flynn raised his hand. "What will happen when you use all your Mana?" Akra replied, "if your mana is emptied, you will feel fatigued, but any amount of using magic after this will affect life span." I felt my shoulder shake as Yaru brought me back to reality. "What?" Yaru sighed. "I said, do you remember the Anchara for the invisible ward?" "Anchara is a combination of Ancient and Charm." "you don't have to say Anchara, just call it a Rune" I replied. Yaru rolled his eyes. "and yes" I added, "I will activate it soon."

As me and the others watched the start of the trial. I scowled as Terrice held Kairi from the neck of her shirt. They stood on a stage with a rope attached to the ceiling of the structure. "ladies and gentleman" he said in his traditional growl. "The Magic Hunters have discovered a witch in the town of Vill Edge. A protection of some sort not allowing us to go through with normal means." murmurs erupted in the crowd. I shook my head in embarrassment. "If only we set them up longer..." Flynn put his hand on Sakira's shoulder. "We only know so much. At least we can be here without getting noticed." Terrice continued "For our efforts, we have learned that there are cabins outside of town. We suspect them to be magic users!" one of the people in the crowd shouted "kill them!" Jen shook her head and whispered "If only they knew that we protected them for so long! Ungrateful bastards" Yaru nodded with Jen in agreement.

I stood there with tension in my shoulders. "And now, we shall put Kairi Lennovia Masera on trial." "that's the cue" I thought, giving the signal to the others Jen raised her hand. "Vineritis" grass from below the crowd started to grow, and I pushed through the crowd. "Invisnata" and my whole body vanished. Terrice, fear striking his face grabbed Kairi by the hair. She screamed in pain. "SEE THAT!? THERE ARE MAGIC USERS HERE! WE MUST HUNT THEM!" He took the blade from his belt and held it towards her neck. "STAY BACK YOU SCUM!" he shouted. I walked a little closer. It was to late. I shouted "NO!!!" and the invisible Ancara wore off. I ran to Kairi. Her ribs showed. "No...I'm to late" "Kairi...you have to stay with me! Kairi!" tears streamed down my face as Kairi put her hand on my cheek. She gave a small yet weak smile and she finally closed her eyes. Her breathing stopped.

The only thing I could feel at the time was pure rage. I placed Kairi down and stared at Terrice. Blood on my clothes and on my cheek. My fists clenched. Swirls of blue fire started to circle around my body and my eyes went from the ocean blue to blood red. "Terrice...this is the last straw. THE. LAST. STRAW." I took a moment to pause then continue, the fear in Terrice's eyes showed someone who was a confident leader, but would leave even if he had an army by his side just to save his own back. Before I attacked, Yaru screamed out "SAKIRA NO!" I didn't turn my head, keeping my attention towards Terrice. I walked forward while Terrice backed away. The stand that Terrice was standing on caught on fire with the blue blaze. After a few moments of staring, I collapsed. Terrice scrambled to his feet and ran off, not noticing that he was limping. The fire soon disappeared a few moments later and I collapsed.

After the trial I woke up in a tower. I groaned and got up, bruises all over my arms. Yaru noticed me waking up and ran up to hug me "His body feels warm" Yaru looked at me with relief in his eyes. Between us was pure silence. He kissed me while both of our faces fully red. Flynn rolled his eyes, while Jen gave an audible "aww!" Yaru looked away. From one moment to the next I hugged him back. "I'm sorry" I whispered. Yaru sighed and whispers back "lets just...try and find the gate. But I doubt we will with how difficult it is to travel." Flynn raised his hand. "actually, we might be able to find it. All we need is a compass." Me, Jen, and Yaru looked at Flynn with a scowl. Flynn laughed, grabbing a compass from his pocket. "I already have the ingredients." He said with a confident smirk, getting them out his pouch. In it was powder, roots and what looked like empty emblems.